1972 vs. 1973 351C Vacuum System

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
Well I've gotten the heads back from being redone and installed. Now it's time to tackle vacuum system.

As I look at all the 'missing' hoses, I see some that were plugged and some with screws or bolts shoved in them. (Times like these I miss the simplicity of my 1970 Coupe).

So I'm looking for a diagrams for the 1972 352C that is currently in my 1973 Mustang.

Was there much of a difference between the two years as far as the vaccum systems?

Are there any that can be by passed?

It is vacuum assisted brakes so I can't impact that.

I need to replace all the hoses.

I also may eventually add the RAM Air to the car (I believe that only the 2V had the RAM AIR - not sure though). Any thing I should consider for that upgrade while I'm fixing the existing set up? (I believe the RAM Air had vacuum connections attached to the hood).

Thanks

Tim

Tim, Re: Ram Air... Take measurements. If you've changed the intake manifold you probably changed the height of the carb. I changed to an Edlebrock RPM and the Ram Air system won't fit. I think an older Edlebrock Torker will work but Edlebrock doesn't offer that manifold any longer. Fortunately I'll be able to make the Ram-Air (air cleaner portion) work on a 79 Ranchero with a hood scoop and I'm leaving the part that mounts to the hood and adapting a different breathing system to the Mustang. It won't be a true sealed Ram Air system but I will be able to get fresh cool air to the carb.

Tim, Re: Ram Air... Take measurements. If you've changed the intake manifold you probably changed the height of the carb. I changed to an Edlebrock RPM and the Ram Air system won't fit. I think an older Edlebrock Torker will work but Edlebrock doesn't offer that manifold any longer. Fortunately I'll be able to make the Ram-Air (air cleaner portion) work on a 79 Ranchero with a hood scoop and I'm leaving the part that mounts to the hood and adapting a different breathing system to the Mustang. It won't be a true sealed Ram Air system but I will be able to get fresh cool air to the carb.

Well I've gotten the heads back from being redone and installed. Now it's time to tackle vacuum system.

As I look at all the 'missing' hoses, I see some that were plugged and some with screws or bolts shoved in them. (Times like these I miss the simplicity of my 1970 Coupe).

So I'm looking for a diagrams for the 1972 352C that is currently in my 1973 Mustang.

Was there much of a difference between the two years as far as the vaccum systems?

Are there any that can be by passed?

It is vacuum assisted brakes so I can't impact that.

I need to replace all the hoses.

I also may eventually add the RAM Air to the car (I believe that only the 2V had the RAM AIR - not sure though). Any thing I should consider for that upgrade while I'm fixing the existing set up? (I believe the RAM Air had vacuum connections attached to the hood).

Thanks

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Stock Manifold.

Whoa!!! the mother load!! Thanks John

Here are some diagrams that should help. Just scroll down to the one you need http://www.mustangbarn.com/72vacuum.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back