Who prefers the 1971-73 sportsroof Non- Mach 1?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
We all know that the Mach 1 is the top of the line Sportsroof with several engine and transmission options.

Does anyone here like the plain sportsroof better than the Mach 1 and why?

I like sleeper look cars... A plain sports roof, no stripes with dog dish or sport caps and a BB 429 CJ/SCJ 4 speed would be nice...

Although I know they have different codes I don't really look at the two as being different.

My only requirement, if I was in the market, is a fold down rear seat. My Mach 1 had one and it was very cool. ;)

I seem to find something I like about them all. As most know - the more original in appearance - the better for me.

Even a 6 cyl convertible (or any body type) with whitewall 14" tires is neat to me! Fastback same way. But wheels are so easy to change around to briefly alter the appearance.

But I have to agree the sleeper performance look is very cool. It always has been.

Ray

My 1st one was a red Fastback with white interior. Back in the 70's I was known for building everyone's motor for street racing. My fastback was a over jetted 302, 3spd manual with a 4spd hurst shifter knob, 2 1/2 custom exhaust and a big chain and lock to keep eyes from under the hood. Luckey no one wanted to race me. It was just loud but not as fast as my reputation. LOL

Alan L

My 1st one was a red Fastback with white interior. Back in the 70's I was known for building everyone's motor for street racing. My fastback was a over jetted 302, 3spd manual with a 4spd hurst shifter knob, 2 1/2 custom exhaust and a big chain and lock to keep eyes from under the hood. Luckey no one wanted to race me. It was just loud but not as fast as my reputation. LOL

Alan L

I always loved the Mach1 but I prefer it without the stripes spoilers louvers magnum 500's. I guess you could call it a plain Jane Mach1. Unfortunately my car came from the factory pretty much loaded with all of the Mach1 goodies so I'll keep it that way but if I had my druthers I'd make it into a plain Jane just like the car in this pic.

autowp_ru_mustang_mach_1_9.jpg autowp_ru_mustang_mach_1_9.jpg

1971_00073_01.jpg

My Mach 1 was pretty close to that when I got it, stock hubcaps and all. It did have the spoiler though.

This is the day it was delivered to my house.

24bkf38.jpg

I have mentioned it before but here is a list of items that only the Mach 1 could have for options.

# 1: Special Color_Keyed Carpeting, plastic runner in the carpet.

# 2: The word Mach 1 in the tape stripe and on trunk. You could get stripe on any model with no Mach 1 verbiage.

# 3: The Mach 1 Sports Interior Option. Little fancier design.

That is all I know of that you could get on a Mach 1 that you could not get on any other model.

Are there any others I missed? A Mach 1 was not any more special than any other model unless you paid for the extra options that you could add to other models as well.

I guess over the years Ford's idea of adding some tape and a BIG Mach 1 to the car would increase sales and it did.

Now the Mexican Mach 1 looks much different with their two tone paint and different stripe package.

A sleeper is always good, no big sign giving away what is under the hood.

David

At first I was a little bummed I didn't have a Mach, but as I researched more and heard from you guys I love it now. Even the comments I get from passerbys are awesome, a couple have recognized that its not a Mach, in a good way. Plus the original owner definitely knew what he wanted when he ordered it. For the same cost he could've been rocking a Mach...build sheet says it all ::thumb::

image0.jpg

I have mentioned it before but here is a list of items that only the Mach 1 could have for options.

# 2: The word Mach 1 in the tape stripe and on trunk. You could get stripe on any model with no Mach 1 verbiage.

That is all I know of that you could get on a Mach 1 that you could not get on any other model.

Are there any others I missed? A Mach 1 was not any more special than any other model unless you paid for the extra options that you could add to other models as well.
IRT your #3: I don't recall the Mach 1 having anything specific in the interior that couldn't be had with other models, aside from a "mandatory" clock and the vinyl carpet inserts. The Deluxe Interior could be ordered for any model, as well as Mach 1s could also have the Standard Interior package. I'm not familiar with a Mach 1-exclusive interior package.

As far as 'sleeper' look goes, I don't think there's anything 'sleeper' about these cars at all. It's not a Farm Truck or Grandma's Country Squire Wagon with a dual-quad 460, after all.

When I see a vintage Mustang Sportsroof, I more or less "expect" to see certain things - most of them involving muscle-car equipment (cool wheels, fat tires, wings and spoilers, engine goodies, etc.). But, I've also learned that you never turn your back on anything turned out from that era just because it's factory stock in appearance and wearing hubcaps. ;)

IRT your #3: I don't recall the Mach 1 having anything specific in the interior that couldn't be had with other models, aside from a "mandatory" clock and the vinyl carpet inserts. The Deluxe Interior could be ordered for any model, as well as Mach 1s could also have the Standard Interior package. I'm not familiar with a Mach 1-exclusive interior package.

As far as 'sleeper' look goes, I don't think there's anything 'sleeper' about these cars at all. It's not a Farm Truck or Grandma's Country Squire Wagon with a dual-quad 460, after all.

When I see a vintage Mustang Sportsroof, I more or less "expect" to see certain things - most of them involving muscle-car equipment (cool wheels, fat tires, wings and spoilers, engine goodies, etc.). But, I've also learned that you never turn your back on anything turned out from that era just because it's factory stock in appearance and wearing hubcaps. ;)
Eric,

Were all Mach 1s suppose to have a clock? Just asking because that's one thing mine did not have. I have the 3 gauge cluster, tach, deluxe interior, and a short console. No clock??

I definitely think there is a "sleeper" equation available when addressing these cars. This applies when comparing a fully decked out Mach1 to a Plain Jane coupe or even a vert. Everyone has some performance expectations when a fastback loaded with magnums, stripes, spoilers, dual exhaust cut outs, etc pulls up along side of you. The expectation is not quite there when a similar year car with a non descript paint colour, no stripes, no sporty wheels and maybe no top, etc..., pulls up along side of you.

The PB 429 coupe in the Kirt Fryer collection is a perfect example. Just as fast and aggressive as the other 5 in the lot... But you can't tell me that you would be expecting it to lay a block long rubber patch from take off at the light when it first pulls up along side of you...

Eric,

Were all Mach 1s suppose to have a clock? Just asking because that's one thing mine did not have. I have the 3 gauge cluster, tach, deluxe interior, and a short console. No clock??
I read somewhere that the '69s started the trend with the Mach 1s having the clock (but it was in above the glove box, and carried over to the '70 models). My understanding was that '71-'73s got clocks as part of the Mach 1 package, whether in the instrument cluster of console. As with anything, special orders could change the game.

I think I actually have this book at home - and it does mention the "Mach 1 Sports Interior" option, but I still believe it was properly known as "Deluxe Interior."

https://books.google.com/books?id=12Unsmyljk4C&pg=PA129&lpg=PA129&dq=All+Mach+1+Mustangs+have+a+clock&source=bl&ots=dv9H0amXtP&sig=i39IRQVy_rfTIPs609XEzs4-Ww0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZyu_dmPrLAhUX1GMKHc1wDlc4FBDoAQgjMAE#v=onepage&q=All%20Mach%201%20Mustangs%20have%20a%20clock&f=true

I think mine came with a shorty console, too - because I have a clock next to the speedometer. The Marti Report said "console," but whichever console was in mine was missing when I bought the car. It also said "Deluxe Interior."

So, does the "Deluxe Interior" + the "05" in the VIN = "Mach 1 Sports Interior?" Hey - we could both be right, David. ;) ::thumb::

Back