CL last minute wheel and tire find!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
The decision has been made! Right when I was about to spend the $200 + for 2 new tires I found these on CL! Old school Centerline's and almost new 275/60/15's $230. I just need a couple of center caps and keep a look out for fronts.

What a ya think?

20160415_194202-1.jpg

20160415_194039-1.jpg

20160415_193929-1.jpg

20160415_193916-1.jpg

I'd rock a set of Centerlines any day of the week. Looks awesome!!

Get some extended shackles and get that rear end up at least another half inch, and you should be good to go. ::thumb::

Those do look pretty mean on the back. I like the old centerline wheels. Like David said though, looks like you might rub on the fenders when going over bumps.

how old are these tires. almost new means nothing if the data stamp is 10 years old.

tires over 5 years old i won't touch.

Thanks all! I agree, I will have some scrubbing unless I do something. The car has air schocks on it but I have no idea if they still work. I have to get a new line kit. Would the drop shackles be a better solution?

I also need to get the nose down. Part of the problem is the front tires though. But even when I had the same size all the way around the nose was up in the air too much. How have you guys leveled your cars?

Be careful with air shocks. The extra pounding the upper shock mounts will take as a result of the increased stiffness will likely have a lasting effect on them. Mine were literally ripped open with the tops of the shocks flopping around. It was like someone would've taken a 2" dowel and tried to hammer it through the shock mount bolt holes.

Scott Drake makes some 1" extended shackles that look totally stock, but will boost up the back end about a half-inch. That should be enough to keep you out of trouble. I have a set for mine that I need to install, and will hopefully be able to get to one of these weekends soon so I'll have some before & after pics of that as well.

The problem isn't that your front end is too high, your rear springs have sagged over the years. As Eric said the extended shackles are the way to go. I put some on my car 8 years ago as a quick and "interim" fix.

What are the pros/cons of different shackle lengths?

In relation to stock length, there are a bunch of things affected when you change shackle lengths.

A longer shackle will move one end of the leaf spring further away from the frame, doing several things.

It rotates the axle down at the shackle side of the spring.

It decreases castor angle of the front axle affecting the steerings stability at high speed, and reduces the steering ability to return to center after a turn.

It increases pinion angle

It increases leverage on the shackle mount

It increases droop (down) travel

It decreases approach/departure angle

It adds lift to the suspension in the amount of half the difference between the new shackle and the original shackle. Example: shackle is 4” from bolt to bolt; replacing it with a shackle 6” from bolt to bolt will provide 1” of lift)

Heres a few reasons you really shouldn't run extended shackles from a handling driveabillity point of view. In other words dont over do it.

Back