2 Car project Fastback and Mach 1, which to build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dpgoat

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 3
Hello,

I bought a 73 Mach 1 with a good running 2v CL, 4 months ago and it turned out to be a big mistake, It's a 4 speed with AC and defrost. After dissecting (rot everywhere) reluctantly decided its a part car. Found another parts car that has some good points and some bad. It is a Q code fastback (I think) that had a four speed, AC and Defrost, thicker front sway bar, duels and staggered shocks.

The idea is to remove Mach 1 parts needed and finish the fastback with a 69 429 I have.

The vin on the Fastback is weird though has a V front and end of number sequence. Anyone know what it means? I need a 429 toploader bellhousing and lots of welding time.

IMG_0172.JPG

Clean13.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site. Not sure what the V's are but that is just a partial VIN stamped into the wheel well support. Mine has the stars but not the V's. Here is a link to the VIN Decoder:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/misc.php?page=1973

Here is a picture of mine:

Hello,

I bought a 73 Mach 1 with a good running 2v CL, 4 months ago and it turned out to be a big mistake, It's a 4 speed with AC and defrost. After dissecting (rot everywhere) reluctantly decided its a part car. Found another parts car that has some good points and some bad. It is a Q code fastback (I think) that had a four speed, AC and Defrost, thicker front sway bar, duels and staggered shocks.

The idea is to remove Mach 1 parts needed and finish the fastback with a 69 429 I have.

The vin on the Fastback is weird though has a V front and end of number sequence. Anyone know what it means? I need a 429 toploader bellhousing and lots of welding time.
I have an FE (Big Block 352,390/427/428) bell housing for a 4 speed. I don't know if it is the same for the 429 or not. Came off of a 390.

kcmash

Welcome to the forum. Never seen the V in the Vin before. Might have been someone trying to fill up empty spaces and stuck in the V? You said the 2V car had 4 speed. That was not an option but could possibly happen if you have a 6 digit DSO code which makes it a special order car. Ford would add items to your car at extra cost as long as they did not affect emissions or crash.

When you pull out the interior look everywhere for the remains of your build sheet. Can be in seat, under dash, under carpet, under seat riser so go slow when removing the carpet. It tells all on your car.

I am sure you know about the Marti report also.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

From all my research and learning about these cars, no 4 speed 2 barrel (2V) cars were ever produced. To date all of the ones I have seen were either changed over from an originally automatic equipped car or it was a F code 2V with a 3 speed manual that had been changed to a 4 speed.

If one does indeed surface it would be an real oddity. I won't hold my breath...

And I don't believe a special order car could over-ride the factory offerings as far as drive trains. As was mentioned - cars had to be tested and approved for emissions and safety through the AMA. (goes along the same reasoning you couldn't order functional ram air on 4V cars after about Dec 1971} So to simplify - some earlier production 72 Q code cars did get functional ram air.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-73-ama-documents

73 Q code 4 speed Sportsroofs were rare with only 294 produced. VIN would start with 3F02Q.

73 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed not nearly as rare with 3316 produced. VIN would start with 3F05Q.

Ray

The Mach 1 2v was originally a fmx car, was changed over at some point, the fastback had a much better performance package 4v and 4 speed out of these two cars. The V on the towers is weird same on both sides and the vin on dash and door is exactly 20 numbers off.

I have an FE (Big Block 352,390/427/428) bell housing for a 4 speed. I don't know if it is the same for the 429 or not. Came off of a 390.

Code:
[code][quote][/quote]. From what I can tell these are different beasts, need 429 bell.
[/CODE]

Welcome from Wa state! Wich one is the mach? I am digging the blue glow!

FE bellhousing will not work on 429, totally different.

The Blue is the fastback (I, believe) and the yellow is a Mach 1 . The # with the V is from the shock towers off the blue car designating that it is a fastback and not a Mach 1 .... I think

IMG_0169.JPG

The Mach 1 2v was originally a fmx car, was changed over at some point, the fastback had a much better performance package 4v and 4 speed out of these two cars. The V on the towers is weird same on both sides and the vin on dash and door is exactly 20 numbers off.
If the fastback (02) aka sportsroof is restorable, I'd go with it. More value if built mostly stock.

I would probably order a basic Marti report for the one on the dash and door. You might write Kevin Marti an email describing with pictures what you have found so far. It could get interesting in that they are exactly 20 numbers off. Please keep in mind the sequential count of the numbers does not indicate where the car(s) were on the line. I would be interested in learning more about what you discover. THANKS!

If the fastback (02) aka sportsroof is restorable, I'd go with it. More value if built mostly stock.

I would probably::thumb::::thumb:: order a basic Marti report for the one on the dash and door. You might write Kevin Marti an email describing with pictures what you have found so far. It could get interesting in that they are exactly 20 numbers off. Please keep in mind the sequential count of the numbers does not indicate where the car(s) were on the line. I would be interested in learning more about what you discover. THANKS!
^^^what he said::thumb::::thumb::

There both Mach 1 cars, I found out from marti report that the v before and after on the shock tower numbers is to designate "void" ... Makes sense because the numbers were exactly 20 off.

DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION

Serial Number 3F05Q181566

3 1973

F Built at Dearborn

05 Mustang Mach I 2-Door SportsRoof Q 351-4V V-8 Engine

181566 Serial Number of this Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn

02/73 February, 1973

63R Mustang Mach I 2-Door SportsRoof

3K Blue Glow Paint, Ford #5210-A

GB Blue Knit Vinyl Bucket Seats

5 Four-Speed Manual Transmission

9 3.25 Conventional Rear Axle