Cold Start Problems on 72

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRL

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
I have a 72 with the 351-2V engine. On a cold start, it sometimes stalls when I put it in reverse to back out of the garage. Driveway is on an incline (don't know if that has anything to do with it). To help avoid it stalling, I let it idle 3-5 min or so in park (it idles fine in park). That doesn't always work. Usually drives fine once I get it on the road and warmed up.

That is common when it is cold on a carburated vehicle. You may want to verify the operation of the choke just to be sure. The engines don't warm up and adjust like a fuel injected motor. I assume you are still running a stock or stock type 2bbl carb and manifold. I am running the same set up and it take a few minutes to warm it up before it is ready to drive off. The colder it is the longer it takes. Hope this helps.

What is the rpm during initial cold start? If choke is working properly it should begin (in park) about 1100 rpm and rise to 1600 within a minute or so. When rpm is 1600, hitting gas pedal should drop idle speed down to 900 or so. Rpm should then drop to 600 or so when warmed up and choke is completely pulled off.

That is common when it is cold on a carburated vehicle. You may want to verify the operation of the choke just to be sure. The engines don't warm up and adjust like a fuel injected motor. I assume you are still running a stock or stock type 2bbl carb and manifold. I am running the same set up and it take a few minutes to warm it up before it is ready to drive off. The colder it is the longer it takes. Hope this helps.
Yes, I still have a stock carb, and I know it needs to warm up. Just can't understand, other than it being an old car, why most days it doesn't stall and today it did. Also stalled 3 more times while idle at a stop over about a 10 min ride. I'm in Houston and the temps were in the 70's. That hasn't happened in quite awhile.

Ended up being brake booster. Also had to replace proportioning valve. Installed new master cylinder as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back