Best Seat foam?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the repop stuff from TMI. Won't know how good it is until I start driving the darn thing though.

The upholstry shop said I should have just usedd my original foam, so I saved it just in case there is ever a need to re-do or someone who is willing to pay copious amounts of cash for original Ford foam for a 71 Mach 1.

----everything is for sale!!

kcmash

Unless you're going for MCA Thoroughbred Trailored Gold, I'd just get the TMI Products repop seat foam. I actually reupholstered my own seats using the TMI Sport Seat covers and foam - everything went really well, and I'm very happy with the how the seats turned out (I will admit that I have a very healthy new respect for those who do upholstery, however).

Unless you're going for MCA Thoroughbred Trailored Gold, I'd just get the TMI Products repop seat foam. I actually reupholstered my own seats using the TMI Sport Seat covers and foam - everything went really well, and I'm very happy with the how the seats turned out (I will admit that I have a very healthy new respect for those who do upholstery, however).
The original thought process was to do a high quality as close to original resto as i could BUT the more i think about, and picture in my mind, a original grabber lime paint finish with a white vinyl roof the more i want to get it perfect in every way especially now the exact interior including the correct Grande deluxe door panels and cloth/vinyl seat material from SMS is on its way from America. So if i am going down the road of getting the car to a exact rolled off the production line finish i will most definately trailor the car to any shows i take my car to

The original thought process was to do a high quality as close to original resto as i could BUT the more i think about, and picture in my mind, a original grabber lime paint finish with a white vinyl roof the more i want to get it perfect in every way especially now the exact interior including the correct Grandé deluxe door panels and cloth/vinyl seat material from SMS is on its way from America. So if i am going down the road of getting the car to a exact rolled off the production line finish i will most definately trailor the car to any shows i take my car to
Holy Run-On Sentence, Batman! :whistling:

lollerz

I reupholstered my seats and would never attempt it again.

Although I do have experience in the matter.

The problem being todays upholstery is pretty much

the same size as of old, but the foam is thicker and more dense.

Got mine from Don of OMS.

mike

I found that putting one of those plastic bags you get from the supermarket or convenience stores on top of the foam allows the seat cover itself to slide right onto the foam... a whole lot better than nothing and/or silicon spray, anyway.

I'd do it again if I must, but I think the next time will be a matter of just buying a set of TMI Products Pro-Series seats (full reclining, etc.) and be done with it. I didn't see them listed, but I'm pretty sure if someone were to call them up and have them put a set of '71-'73 Deluxe Sport Seats together, they wouldn't have a problem with that (probably cost something like $1200 for the fronts alone, though).

I found that putting one of those plastic bags you get from the supermarket or convenience stores on top of the foam allows the seat cover itself to slide right onto the foam... a whole lot better than nothing and/or silicon spray, anyway.

I'd do it again if I must, but I think the next time will be a matter of just buying a set of TMI Products Pro-Series seats (full reclining, etc.) and be done with it. I didn't see them listed, but I'm pretty sure if someone were to call them up and have them put a set of '71-'73 Deluxe Sport Seats together, they wouldn't have a problem with that (probably cost something like $1200 for the fronts alone, though).
As i'm going concourse and ordered the material from SMS i got to get the covers made in the UK. So will need the foam to make the covers a good fit

If your upholstery shop can faithfully reproduce the seat covers with the SMS material you ordered, I see no reason why you shouldn't use the TMI OEM-style replacement seat foam.

It's much better material, it's new, and should work just fine. Don't forget the burlap, listing rods, and plenty of hog rings.

I know there's a lot of discussion of various things on this thread - apologies for helping that along. I hope you got what you need, regarding your original question.

If your upholstery shop can faithfully reproduce the seat covers with the SMS material you ordered, I see no reason why you shouldn't use the TMI OEM-style replacement seat foam.

It's much better material, it's new, and should work just fine. Don't forget the burlap, listing rods, and plenty of hog rings.

I know there's a lot of discussion of various things on this thread - apologies for helping that along. I hope you got what you need, regarding your original question.
I have all the information with your post(burlap, listing rods, and plenty of hog rings.)

Thank You

Back