• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 351C 2v Ram Air cleaner base with or without snorkel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Stock 1973 Mustang Convertible with a 351C 2v and C6
Modified 1970 Mach 1 M-Code with a 351C 4v Manual
For a 73 351C 2v. Prefer not to go with a repro. Also, any leads on one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

For a 73 351C 2v. Prefer not to go with a repro. Also, any leads on one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rich
Is it different from the 4V base? Chuck

As long as it's a non 429 application the bases will interchange. The air horn for the 2100 and 4300 series carburetors were the same diameter. The 72 NOX and all 73 applications will have the provision for the flex hose on the end of the snorkel, the 71 and non NOX 72's will not.

As long as it's a non 429 application the bases will interchange. The air horn for the 2100 and 4300 series carburetors were the same diameter. The 72 NOX and all 73 applications will have the provision for the flex hose on the end of the snorkel, the 71 and non NOX 72's will not.
Gentlemen,

Thanks for clarifying. I have a 73 351C snorkel with the flex hose. It's 10 1/2 " long down the centerline, which I believe is correct for the ram air base. The non-ram air 351Cc 2v snorkel is one inch longer. That said I take a base with or without the snorkel. Also need the rubber seal, but that I will go repro is need be.

Rich

Rich, depending on the application, some vehicles used the same snorkel for ram air/non ram air. If you could score just the base, you could probably save some $$. There is some slight outer diameter difference between the ram air and the 2bl non ram air housings, but with the amount of play available with the flexible tube it shouldn't be a problem. Haven't heard anything bad about the repo seals. Anything you find NOS now would probably be dry rotted. That's what I ran into on my ram air housing and a NOS seal I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a air cleaner that came as an extra with my 73 Mach 1 when I got it last spring....the 351 engine was replaced with a 429 and I have a bunch of 351 parts that were sent to me when I bought the car....you can have the air cleaner base and lid as well as the snorkel assembly ---just give me an offer that is fair. I am new here so I do not know how to attach photos...email me I can send pics...

Anthony

[email protected]

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is an example picture of the ram air base I am looking to buy. The original left and repro right.

Thanks all for your response,

Rich

Ram Air Base.jpg

11-7-2016 7-48-48 AM.png

Thanks

Rich
Well looky there, I have one in my garage. $95 plus shipping or talk to me with an offer.

Original 71, 351C 2v cleaner base with no dents, no rust, and no egg-shape.
That's a standard air cleaner, actually. ;)

That is a nice housing, but unfortunately will not fit rackerm's Mustang. The base in the E Bay ad is for a Shaker style ram air set up. The three studs on the top were used to retain the mid-plate (part with the flapper door and vacuum motor) and then the Shaker cap fastened to the top of that. All that made the assembly a little top heavy, so there is another stud on the side of the base a support bracket fastened to and also went to the intake.

Would like to have that base to replace a damaged shaker base I have, but at $450.00 and this close to Christmas...couldn't sneak that past the Boss Lady!

Illustration is from the 65-72 Ford Master parts Catalog-May 75 Final Issue

001.jpg

Thanks

Rich
I have a complete original ram air set up for a 71-73. Air cleaner has been powder coated correct Ford blue. email me if interested.

[email protected] Bob

Back