How to safely install trunk torsion bars

11 hours ago, 1971stang said:

Where did you get the Torsion Rods or Torque Springs from ?  I can't find them anywhere for a 1971 Mustang Grande Coupe, unless you buy the entire DynaCorn Deck Lid kit for $400...??

I have a set of torsion rods from a 71 coupe, shoot me a PM. 

• Like 1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a set of torsion rods from a 71 coupe, shoot me a PM. 

The second Coupe/Vert torsion bar is very hard to find these days. If you have one bar in your car now, it typically it has the adjustable lever on the drivers side. If so, you need the rare second ba

I had two of them for sale on here for about a month. Just sold the second one today. I will see if I can scout out some more. I sold for $60.00 + shipping. You cannot use to R.H. springs has to be th

Posted Images

13 hours ago, 1971stang said:

Where did you get the Torsion Rods or Torque Springs from ?  I can't find them anywhere for a 1971 Mustang Grande Coupe, unless you buy the entire DynaCorn Deck Lid kit for $400...??

The second Coupe/Vert torsion bar is very hard to find these days. If you have one bar in your car now, it typically it has the adjustable lever on the drivers side. If so, you need the rare second bar and it is different from the typical first bar so they are not interchangeable. The second bar has the adjustable arm on the passenger side and a different angle relative to each end. 71-73 Cougars commonly used the same second bar as their trunk lids were heavier. Look for a 71-73 Coupe/Vert Cougar.

I noticed that the 67-68 coupe/vert bars are available, but I they are not the same. The adjustment lever end is different.

Edited by rackerm
  • Like 1

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

I had two of them for sale on here for about a month. Just sold the second one today. I will see if I can scout out some more. I sold for $60.00 + shipping. You cannot use to R.H. springs has to be the specific L.H. spring different twists but brackets are there.

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Well I was told that all of the '71 - '73 Coupes / Grandes only came with (1) Driver Side Torsion Bar or Rod, the Mach I's had (2) Shorter Rods Driver and Passenger.  So I am not sure how or where to acquire a Passenger Side Torsion Bar, but I found the Driver Side Torsion Bar.  If anybody has a LH & RH bars or BOTH rods for a 1971 Mustang Grande, please Email me at 1971stang@gmail.com and I will Buy them.  The one existing Torsion Bar that I have was adjusted from Bottom to Middle Groove or Notch on the Hinge on the Driver's Side and although it does work a bit better (not slamming shut from a soft breeze), the Deck Lid or Trunk only Opens up 1/2 way or so on its own accord.  I guess I will need to try the Top Notch, but not sure if that will work properly or not.  The way I get them installed is by using (2) Zip Ties on the Notched Side to keep the bar in place and then I use a Pipe Wrench and Rag to twist and insert the other end into the Hole, just enough so it stays put, then I gently tap it place with a Hammer...Tried using the Car Jack and that didn't work and don't have a Seal Puller...The Cougar tool looks like its only Designed for Cougars and not Mustangs...And yeah I wear heavy duty gloves to keep from getting pinched and goggles, better safe than sorry and that bar snapped out of place a few times from tension release when I lost my grip with the pipe wrench, which can be dangerous situation if not protected...Anybody got (2) coupe bars or further installation advice, please do post to this forum or email me is fine or you can text me (512) 796-2444.  Thanks !

I had posted how to make a tool that is easy and safe to adjust the torsio  bar. I am reposting it...

I made a tool to adjust the trunk torsion rods on my convertible. It works really well, feels locked in place and does not slip off. I have adjusted the rod up and down on the first and second notches, but not up to the third notch. That would be a lot of torque on the rod. It should work on coupes as well since the rod and trunk are setup the same way as a convertible, but I doubt it will work on a fastback.

No need to spend money on one. I used a piece of heavy gauge strap iron and drilled holes and bent it as you see in the pictures below. I think the key to it working so well was to create (drill) a open ended hook like hole on the end to keep the tool from slipping off the Torsion Bar when applying leverage. The second hole is 5/16" in diameter to keep it snug on the end of the rod and no more than 3 1/4" distance from right angle end, otherwise a metal lip where the rod wrap around will prevent the tool from hooking on to the rod.

Anyway I hope it helps....

20170703_064333.jpg

193 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!