73 Mach 1 Production Stats - Where did this come from?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
A yellow 73 (3F05Q255804) Mach 1 recently sold near me.  The dealer had the following claim in the ad:

226_p54_l.jpg

Does Marti break down cars to this level of detail?  Is this info in an elite report? The car sold but the ad is still on line at http://www.cruisinclassicsinc.com/1973-ford-mustang-mach-1-mach-1-c-226.htm

I believe they have this information, not in this format for a Elite report but you could extrapolate this information based on the sequence portion of the VIN.

Tim

A lot has been written about this, also on this forum, and I do believe that the VIN says not so much about the sequence of production (except for the year) as you may think. Marti can however figure these kinds of things out quite precise.

A lot has been written about this, also on this forum, and I do believe that the VIN says not so much about the sequence of production (except for the year) as you may think. Marti can however figure these kinds of things out quite precise.
Yup!   Plus some creative editing by the car salesman....

I guess the claim that this was the third to last 4 speed Mach 1 with the 351 C 4V produced is the one I am wondering about. If they are saying that then that implies that the VIN of the other two that were bui

Yup!   Plus some creative editing by the car salesman....
Vinnie - I understand about the sequence number - that tells you nothing of when the car was actually produced. My question is about the very specific claims about this car being the 3rd to last 4 speed Mach 1 produced and the 15th to last Mach 1 produced.  This car has a  production date of 6/26/73 but I know of five Mach 1's on this forum that were produced after this one (I have two of them myself).  I have been looking for specific information about the last 1st generation Mach 1 produced.  Both me and forum member jb73mach have Mach 1's produced on 7/5/73.  If there is info out there with this type of resolution, I would like to know where to get it. 

I fear that Bill is correct though - creative editing my the sales staff may have come into play here. Does the Mustang Production Guide Volume 2 referenced above provide that information?

Steve, I think it is sales BS

Look at  lines 1, 3 and 4 they all say cobra jet per the Marti report

My Marti reports for any 73 Q codes say 351 4V  

None say cobra jet

Only 72 Q code reports say cobra jet

Last edited by a moderator:
Even the more detailed marti reports don't provide info ~that~ specific I believe (you can check that on his website). But he does offer a (paid) service to execute a more detailed query on the data he has. I am certain that these details ~can~ be obtained from Marti so they ~could~ be true (if the seller did so). I know this because Marti told me so after he told me my Grande was produced on the last production dat for Grande's.

Btw: point 3 is a logical result of point 1 I think, no?

As we all know the last 6 digits are production numbers and depending on who you ask (it differs even between folks that worked on the cars back then).  The production numbers started at 100001 and up in sequence.   If you take that number as gospel as far as begin assigned to Q codes sequentially - you can get there with that information - not necessarily 100% correct but close.

Let's use the actual terminology:

My 73 was "serialized" on 04/11/1973 - meaning that this the date it was given the Vin number - last 6 digits - 230457  (it's easy to assume that any car ordered - mine was special/specially ordered -- after my car's "order received date" of 04/09/73 would have higher last 6 digits).

My car had a "scheduled for build" date of 05/04/73, however it's "Actual Build" date was 05/01/73.  (It's easy to see on knowing exactly whether your car was 3rd from the last would be a a tough call).

You would have to be a good size sub-set of Q code serial numbers with Actual Build dates for that year.   Marti Auto Works has all this information and a simple query to a database with this information would give you results that could give you this type of data.  I'm not sure the guys at Marti's has this all a database but it's possible to make a very good guess.

Of course I'm not sure how much that matters - if your car was 15th from the last built of that generation - value wise there's not much difference.  The first built and the last built have some significance - but really it's just cool stuff to know.

I wouldn't buy a car just because it was the last Cobra Jet build - although I did own one of the last Cobra Jet Torino build in 1974.  

Should you trust this sellers information - not on it's face.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you possibly question anything posted on the Internet? We all know that if you read it on the Internet it must be true!

That's right - for instance, I've been moonlighting as a French Supermodel.  Bon Jour!

lollerz

Yes he can.  Maybe - a person could send this info to Kevin Marti for confirmation?  Unfortunately a lot of folks generalize the information provided on their Marti reports and then use data from Kevin's books to further confuse people.  It is a very late production 73 for sure.  I have not compared against any of my data.

That's right - for instance, I've been moonlighting as a French Supermodel.  Bon Jour!

lollerz
Oh the HUMANITY!  No pics please!   rofl

Ray

lollerz
I believe there is a huge call for French Supermodels in San Angelo!!!
You have no idea.

Just in case nobody believes me:

raw

No way, Man - I can't dance like that.  :whistling:

lollerz

Back