• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

13/16 31 spline power steering input shaft (SPA-T box)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71JCode

Reaction score
My Car
71 J-Code 429
Rebuilding my steering box to find that the input shaft (31 spline 13/16) is pitted. Rebuilder says he has a 3/4" 36 spline he can replace with.  Of course I'd like to keep it original as possible. Anyone got one they'd part with? Take the whole box, too, if that's an option. It's tagged as a SPA-T. Thanks!

I could be wrong, but if the input shaft is only pitted, why bother changing it. If it's half rusted away, I can see that. There is a flat on it anyway so I don't think it would slip if the screw is tightened correctly. It's a SPA -T variable ratio @16-13:1 worth keeping for sure.

I have an issue with my own SPA-T box and that is the internal power valve (that's what the guy at the rebuilders said it was called), is shot and I don't have good turning power to the right. I have found a replacement box that I an hoping will be good, so I may have a shaft going begging, but it may be a while. A winter project I expect.

Geoff.

Powersteering.com is checking, but said it's rare. It's pitted at the seal, so my rebuilder says it's going to leak. Thanks everybody.

I have two - T's bunch of -S's

I would want to sell the whole box

PM me

Found one.  

This is most likely out of a "S" box (but I don't know for sure).  That being said the torsion bar seems to be smaller in the fixed ratio boxes compared to the variable ratio boxes.  It might result in slightly less steering feel than your old one.

$20 shipped in the 48.

PM me if you want it,

Peter

Something else to toss out there, some people would call that a 13/16"-36 spline shaft (if you count the splines that were milled off for the flat spot). That might help on your parts hunt.
 It also needs to match your coupler or you'll be looking for a new one of those too.

Lares make quite good couplers if needed. The 201 is the 13/16th spline for the Mustang. The only difference is both 'pins' are the same diameter, but are at least the correct length unlike the Scott Drake version. The pins are there only as an emergency back-up, should the rubber part brake, not for steering.

I have two - T's bunch of -S's

I would want to sell the whole box

PM me
Don, I tried to PM you, but I don't think it went through.

I too am looking for a SPA-T PS box and might be interested in buying one from you.

Please PM me back or post here.

Thanks,

Geoff (stanglover)

Back