Refurbishing sport lamps?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351, FMX, A/C (well, parts of it anyways!)
1971 Mach 1, 351, FMX
1965 Convertible, 289, 4-speed
Hello everyone,

I searched around a bit and didn't find the answer I needed so I'll try posting it here.  I have a pair of over 40 year-old sport lamps that I'd like to refurbish.  My thoughts would be to take them apart, polish the lenses, and repaint the argent fronts and the white/cream housings.  Unfortunately I can't figure out the first step to get them apart.  

Any advise on how to get them apart?

Scott

::help::

Hello everyone,

I searched around a bit and didn't find the answer I needed so I'll try posting it here.  I have a pair of over 40 year-old sport lamps that I'd like to refurbish.  My thoughts would be to take them apart, polish the lenses, and repaint the argent fronts and the white/cream housings.  Unfortunately I can't figure out the first step to get them apart.  

Scott

They are not suppose to come apart

They are heat welded / new ones are sonic welded togther

Hello everyone,

Scott

Thanks Don for the information.  ::thumb::    After looking them over I see they would be pretty tough to take apart without damaging something.  Looks like it's going to be some good cleaning, lens polishing, and paint touch-up!

Scott

Hello everyone,

Scott

Thanks Don for the information.  ::thumb::    After looking them over I see they would be pretty tough to take apart without damaging something.  Looks like it's going to be some good cleaning, lens polishing, and paint touch-up!

Scott
Anyone have any tricks to clean the inside of the lens?  It's driving me crazy trying!

Scott

Back