Timing Pointer Location

Hello all. This might be a newbie question but I just wanted to confirm something. I just installed a Petronix electronic ignition in my 71 Mustang with a stock 302. While it starts and runs much better I thought it to be prudent to check the timing. I have not set the timing on this car before. I had a bit of frustration finding the timing pointer. I believe I found it on the passenger side? I am used to seeing them on the driver side. If what I am seeing is the timing mark, boy is it tough to see. I have to go out of town for the weekend but when I return I am hoping to set the timing. I still need to climb underneath to find the marks on the balancer. 

So, if someone out there can confirm that the timing mark is on the passenger side I would be grateful. Thanks.

By the way, here is a quick snapshot.

IMG_0905.jpg

I do think the timing marks are on the passenger side on both 302 and 351. I know they are on 351 6 of them. You should put some white paint in the marks on the balancer and on the point of the pointer to make easier to see. You do need a good light to get to it.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Hello all. This might be a newbie question but I just wanted to confirm something. I just installed a Petronix electronic ignition in my 71 Mustang with a stock 302. While it starts and runs much better I thought it to be prudent to check the timing. I have not set the timing on this car before. I had a bit of frustration finding the timing pointer. I believe I found it on the passenger side? I am used to seeing them on the driver side. If what I am seeing is the timing mark, boy is it tough to see. I have to go out of town for the weekend but when I return I am hoping to set the timing. I still need to climb underneath to find the marks on the balancer. 

So, if someone out there can confirm that the timing mark is on the passenger side I would be grateful. Thanks.

By the way, here is a quick snapshot.

IMG_0905.jpg

David, is correct the pointer on 302 is on the passenger side.

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

60_ABD738_D8_AF_4_E63_AC5_A_84_B74_AECDA19.jpg

Hope this helps, I also added timing tape from summit racing so I could see the timing marks better

i used a yellow paint pen to do mine. a line across the balancer at TDC and a few dabs at marks BTDC to help locate my mark. u should keep any of these marks toward the front so not to have the indicator cover it.