Printed circuit repair???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Removed dash cluster for some troubleshooting. After getting it out and reinstalling it I had no dash lights. I removed the cluster again, and saw that  on the circuit board where the plug goes has several contacts bent out of shape and not making contact when the plug is connected These are the copper looking contacts that have come loose from the board but are still in one piece and can be set back into their proper locations. Is there a glue, or adhesive that I can use to hold in the proper location, or do I just get a new board? They are only loose where they go into the female section of the board, maybe 1/8th to 1/4 inch each...……………..

Removed dash cluster for some troubleshooting. After getting it out and reinstalling it I had no dash lights. I removed the cluster again, and saw that  on the circuit board where the plug goes has several contacts bent out of shape and not making contact when the plug is connected These are the copper looking contacts that have come loose from the board but are still in one piece and can be set back into their proper locations. Is there a glue, or adhesive that I can use to hold in the proper location, or do I just get a new board? They are only loose where they go into the female section of the board, maybe 1/8th to 1/4 inch each...……………..
Yes, they can be fixed, but not for long.  Best to buy a new circuit card or ask that jerk Midlife to hack your underdash harness for a hard-wire dash cluster harness.

Why do you say that? LOL !!!!!! You’ve helped me out several times and have repaired a harness that the P.O. had butchered. 

Don’t want to start on a project like that just yet. I’ll either repair it, or buy a new one. 

So what do you use to reattach the copper strips to the circuit board?

Glue, but you have to be very careful not to get glue on the contact side of the copper. It ain't worth the effort, Danno...buy the replacement card.

I put in a new card and still don't have dash lights despite power at the plug and a good earth

The old card did not have the tabs glued in so didn't see the need to glue the new ones in

I don't wish to remove the entire dash again so will probably have a go at running a jump wire to one of the illumination sockets

I would strongly recommend getting Midlife to hard wire your cluster, that is if he will let you

I put in a new card and still don't have dash lights despite power at the plug and a good earth

The old card did not have the tabs glued in so didn't see the need to glue the new ones in

I don't wish to remove the entire dash again so will probably have a go at running a jump wire to one of the illumination sockets

I would strongly recommend getting Midlife to hard wire your cluster, that is if he will let you
Everything was working until I started messing with trying to reconnect the power plug. I could feel the copper strips on the board coming loose at the connection point, so I fought with the speedo connector until I got it loose, remover the cluster, and saw what I expected to see on the board.

Probably take MIDLIFE's recommendation and get a new board...……….

::thumb:: Glue, but you have to be very careful not to get glue on the contact side of the copper.  It ain't worth the effort, Danno...buy the replacement card.
::thumb:: ::thumb:

I just bought a brand new one of these off eBay for$42.99. That was the no tach one. The one with tach is 55.99. Free shipping also. Ryan

I just bought a brand new one of these off eBay for$42.99. That was the no tach one. The one with tach is 55.99. Free shipping also. Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Got one through Ebay last week. With Tach was $36 + $16 shipping. Perfect fit and everything works again.

Quick and easy fix.

That's what I have and that is what I have chosen too...……..

Lots of luck with the bargain basement stuff on eBay. Let us know how well it works (or doesn't), and how many times you have the pleasure of pulling the cluster out.

Lots of luck with the bargain basement stuff on eBay. Let us know how well it works (or doesn't), and how many times you have the pleasure of pulling the cluster out.
Just curious, have you had a bad experience with these printed circuit cards? Is there different manufacturers of these cards? I seen where they range in price from $42 to $96 for the same card. Ryan

No, I haven't, but that is because I am very selective when I buy anything on eBay. Due to the number of bad circuit boards that Mustang owners have received, it seems logical to me that lower cost equals lower reliability. Good quality materials used in the manufacturing of these are not cheap and a fair amount of labor is involved, too, as well as expensive equipment to cut the boards out. It would cost me $20 to $25 dollars for the material for one circuit board, and then I would have to etch the circuits, and then cut them out. While I have the knowledge on how to do it, there's no way I would do it.

Whenever I need a new one, I'll likely get a hard wired one from Midlife, even though I have the knowledge and ability to do my own. He's done the research and found the correct parts, and I would be starting from scratch.

I'm too old and my knuckles bleed too easy to do a job more than once. :D

No, I haven't, but that is because I am very selective when I buy anything on eBay. Due to the number of bad circuit boards that Mustang owners have received, it seems logical to me that lower cost equals lower reliability. Good quality materials used in the manufacturing of these are not cheap and a fair amount of labor is involved, too, as well as expensive equipment to cut the boards out. It would cost me $20 to $25 dollars for the material for one circuit board, and then I would have to etch the circuits, and then cut them out. While I have the knowledge on how to do it, there's no way I would do it.

Whenever I need a new one, I'll likely get a hard wired one from Midlife, even though I have the knowledge and ability to do my own. He's done the research and found the correct parts, and I would be starting from scratch.

What actually is involved with the MIDLIFE hardwired repair, and what is the cost? :shootself:

What actually is involved with the MIDLIFE hardwired repair, and what is the cost? :shootself:
OK...let's talk about the reliability issue of the circuit cards.  It turns out most of the problems are on 1969/70 dash clusters, as their mounting shell is metal and consequently grounded to the chassis.  When you remove a circuit card, you have to remove the retaining nuts on each gauge post, install the new card, and re-install the retaining nuts.  On a 69/70, there is a cardboard-like insulating pad that insulates each post from one another.  And here's the problem: there's enough slop in the mounting of the gauges that either post can contact the metal structure without realizing it, as it is covered by the insulating pad and the circuit card: you can't see the contact which will cause a short.  When this happens, the gauge will not work, and if you short out the power post to the gauge, all other gauges will also not work.  The only way out of this dilemma is to mount everything and measure resistance from each post to the chassis: it needs to be on the order of 100kohms, not 1 and not 13 ohms (the other two readings). 

On a 1971-1973, the case is plastic, so the probability of shorting is much reduced.  Here, the reliability one sees in a new card is due entirely to the quality of the card and the contacts on the connector.  My experience is that I clean every connector contact and measure the continuity of the wire to the contact...about 10% of the pins need to be re-crimped. 

So...let's answer your other question: What is involved with the hardwire repair?  It costs $100, and is best done when you send in your underdash harness for refurbishment, as I replace the dash cluster connector with a Molex quick-disconnect.  I provide about 12 or more inches of pigtail on the dash cluster side, so you can actually put your cluster on the dash pad and check things out there if you want; it also makes it much easier to remove and install.  If you don't send in the underdash, I provide the mating connector and wire pigtails, and you would be responsible for splicing the pigtails to your underdash harness wires.  I provide a detailed pin-out of the wires, wire colors, and function, as well as a lay-out of where all of the hard-wired (e.g. lamp sockets, 90* slip-on connectors, battery snaps for the voltage regulator, etc.) as well as marking the wires (e.g. A, B, C, 1, 2, 3).  If you can color within the lines, chew food, or breathe, you can install the dash cluster harness. 

And DonC is correct: finding the right parts was half the battle. 

You can go to this thread for more information on this:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-can-the-instrument-cluster-be-hard-wired

Back