Why dont you see more 71-73's?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
At least in my part of the country (SC) you rarely see a 71-73 mustang driving around.  I've seen a couple in rough shape in peoples back yard but nothing on the road.  Is it because of popularity? Lack of numbers left? Average condition being too poor to fix?  Something else?  I don't see many 69-70's either but they are not nearly as unseen as our cars.  I bet I have seen 1 over the last 5 years on the road and maybe 2 in shows.

Wade,

Same here I have located a 73 & 72 Mach 1 that I got to come to our last Mustang show so there was three there including me.

I went to the Maggie Valley Mustang shows last fall and there was one other there.

I was contacted by the people in Tenn. they needed a 73 and could not find one. They have a Mustang show called Ponies in the Smokies coming up this month. They try to have at least Mustang for every year. You need to come to Charlotte in April to the 55.

I think the people that have them just do not do the show thing. I know people with completely restored 65 that has not left the garage since done for 10 years.

Hey my Mach 1 sat 37 years. Life gets in the way of cars for most people. They have them but they just sit there.

Wade,

Same here I have located a 73 & 72 Mach 1 that I got to come to our last Mustang show so there was three there including me.

I went to the Maggie Valley Mustang shows last fall and there was one other there.

I was contacted by the people in Tenn. they needed a 73 and could not find one. They have a Mustang show called Ponies in the Smokies coming up this month. They try to have at least Mustang for every year. You need to come to Charlotte in April to the 55.

I think the people that have them just do not do the show thing. I know people with completely restored 65 that has not left the garage since done for 10 years.

Hey my Mach 1 sat 37 years. Life gets in the way of cars for most people. They have them but they just sit there.
What is 55?  Do you mean the Auto Fair???

Live fifty miles south of SF and have only seen one other car like mine, meaning 71-73,

and this is California. The dealership first purchased is just down the street and the

bank that did the original financing has been my bank for the last 30 or so years.

mike

Wade,

What is 55?  Do you mean the Auto Fair???
I think he is saying, come to Mustang 55th anniversary show in Charlotte in April.

The Auto Fair is first weekend of April. The 55 is the 55 anniversary of the Mustang. They have a yearly Mustang day in Charlotte and now since the MOM Mustang Owner's Museum has the grand opening that is included. There will be big Mustang show swap meet at the track. Two track days, you can go out on the Roval with a driver for hot laps, drifting exhibitions also. Trying to break the record for number of Mustangs in a parade lap has to be over 1,000.

Should be a bigger show that the one at Ford headquarters in the fall.

They are doing a drive to the 55 that starts in Washington state and comes down through California and across the U.S.. They did last year and some drove from California for the show.

My 73 Mach 1 will be in the museum.

Daniel Carpenter and Dennis Carpenter will also have their museums open to view which does not happen too often and both are excellent. Dennis has two floors and Daniel has several single digit mileage Fox Body Mustangs.

Here is link stuff going on all week. I will be there for whole thing and will drive my yellow 73 vert while there. I booked room the first day it was available.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2046834348913319/permalink/2267624663500952/
So now you know what the 55 is.

Mine always draws attention when I have it out - I suppose being in a relatively small town like San Angelo, TX (pop. 100,000-ish) and the fact that it might be the only one that's operational in-town, doesn't help.  I can't stop at a convenience store without someone wanting to talk about it or even take a picture or two, and it's always a hit at the car shows.

I'm just surprised by the respect I get from other performance car drivers - they usually just give me a nod and a thumbs up, rather than try to start something... which is surprising that even the 'kids' with the more modern tuner cars in town don't even try to line up on me.  Even the guys with the new Mustangs, Challengers, Camaro SSs, and Corvettes seem to think I'm driving something special.  If they only knew that it's 'just a 351C-2V with an AOD and 3.00 rear gears' that would likely get smoked off the line, they might feel differently.  For now, I'll just stick to letting them think what they like.  ;) rofl

Hmm! maybe they're all here in SW Ontario. There are 5 in or around town that I know of, plus a friend has two, a Boss 351 and a 429 J code Mach 1. I am sure there are others as well that I'm not thinking of right this minute. Oh! my old 72 Q code Mach is only about 30 miles away, so that's 8

Like Eric, I too get the thumbs up (and the occasional middle finger) when driving around or at the gas station. I get a charge out of the little kids lining the parade or cruise route. I hear "Look, it's a MACH 1!" Not sure the Chevy guys hear that too often.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya you don’t see too many, but I do know of 4 that I usually see around here. A guy in the next subdivision over from me, Mano who is also a forum member has a 71 Mach. Then I see three 73’s, one a vert, one a coupe and one a Mach 1, at a local cruise in on Mondays. I guess I would make 5. And there’s another forum member, John j, who has a really nice 73 vert, but we’ve only met up once at the dream cruise.

So they are around, but still not a lot of them. I get the same thing as you guys are saying about the looks, thumbs up and really nice compliments. Get a lot of kids that have never seen this year and they love the yellow. Cracks me up when guys think it’s something other than a Mustang.

In my relatively large town area of about 70,000 I doubt there would be more than a handful of people who would even recognize let alone actually have seen a 7173.

With mine about to hit the bitumen within a month or two it will definitely be an unknown sure to get attention

I know of one Mach 1 further south of this town which is an unfinished project and a handful of these vehicles further north in the city of Perth

I reckon it is to our advantage as most car enthusiasts get used to the more common earlier Mustangs and don't always give them a second look

Wade,

I go to a lot of auctions, Mecum and BJ, and there is always the requisite 1, 71-73 Mach 1 for sale.  Basically 69-70 are still the so called "Desirable" years, and prices reflect that.  my theory is that prices for 69-70's will continue to rise, increasing interest in the 71-73.  I see that with Broncos...the "early" bronco prices are insane, and that is slowing putting pressure on the larger Broncos. the 71-73 Mustangs will get there, but will take a few more years, then we should see more around.  that said, I also like AMC Eagle wagons, and in 5 years have only seen 1 on the streets....

Mine always draws attention when I have it out - I suppose being in a relatively small town like San Angelo, TX (pop. 100,000-ish) and the fact that it might be the only one that's operational in-town, doesn't help.  I can't stop at a convenience store without someone wanting to talk about it or even take a picture or two, and it's always a hit at the car shows.

I'm just surprised by the respect I get from other performance car drivers - they usually just give me a nod and a thumbs up, rather than try to start something... which is surprising that even the 'kids' with the more modern tuner cars in town don't even try to line up on me.  Even the guys with the new Mustangs, Challengers, Camaro SSs, and Corvettes seem to think I'm driving something special.  If they only knew that it's 'just a 351C-2V with an AOD and 3.00 rear gears' that would likely get smoked off the line, they might feel differently.  For now, I'll just stick to letting them think what they like.  ;) rofl
4x4,

My God, I wish I lived there in Texas. Around here, ( in Los Angeles), you can hardly drive anywhere at any time without seeing a display of speeding or racing on the streets, even residential area streets. I drive my '71 Mach 1 daily, and there's always some squirrel nut zipper in an import, a Challenger, a late Mustang, BMW,you name it, who comes up to my side and revs up or takes off from a stop, like I should "go" him. Man my car is pretty cherry, and it didn't get, or stay that way by flogging it needlessly, and like yours, it's an "H" code, so there's no point to try to wring it out. The upside is that I do get so many people giving me a thumbs up, or asking what year it is, or complimenting me on the car. But, the way the people are driving around here lately, I doubt if they, or their "buzzbombs" will be around in 48 years, let alone be in any kind of shape!

I honestly think that the vast majority went to the junkyards in the 80s and 90s. I would be curious to hear guesses on how many are left. I doubt that even 5% of the number made were driven in the last 5 years. How far off am I?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back