Potential Pitfalls of Restoration Order

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-what-order-did-you-do-your-restore

I started by reading the above thread.  I am still hesitant on which way to proceed and want to make sure i have considered all potential pitfalls of going in any certain order.  Car is as shown below (with 20 yrs of dust on it)

Suspension has been completely replaced. I have a little bit of metal work in rear quarters.

primary focus on paint, would like to get primered this fall (miscellaneous dents filled as part of primer process)

winter about to set in, garage not heated, install underlayment, wiring, brakes, steering, conv top mechanism, gas tank, fuel lines, miscellaneous front end components

final paint door jambs, inside fenders, parts of doors corresponding to door jambs, under hood and trunk lid

install all body panels (should i leave hood off to have better access and will also need to remove to install engine?)

final paint and topcoat

Get engine and tranny done (tranny rebuilt but sitting for 20 yrs, want to also go to more clutches in the one drum)

interior and top (dash, seats, glass and weatherstrip)

I am worried about damaging paint or asking myself "why didn't I install this BEFORE that"

Any help appreciated

Well, mine was painted upside down then right side up, doors on, front clip off.

Before Paint, test fit all bright trim to make sure the 1/4s and any replaced panels are spaced properly. It's a good idea to make sure all the panels align well when you test fit.

1st Door hardware, latches, internals  so doors will close and not scratch the body

1.5 suspension

2nd all brake/fuel runs

3rd Pedal box and bleed the brake system out.  If the brake system leaks, you need to repair paint.

3.5 Wiper Linkage

4th Steering box steering column

4.5 Heater box

5th  Wiring Harness for underhood,  might ass well do them all

6th Power train.  Do engine and tranny together if possible( put the rear end HIGH on jack stands to get a good insertion angle

6.5 Exhaust system

7th Dash and Guages

8th  Windshield(My opinion)

9th  Drivers seat( Start the engine and break it in)

10th Convertible Mechanism and hydraulics(Test and adjust)

11) Rear 1/4 windows and internals

12) Shifter assemblies and boots followed by carpet

13)  Rear inner 1/4s followed by rear seat

14) Front seats sill plates

15) Headlight buckets/ Hood latch assy

16)  Hood Hinges and hood( Put Ram Air Plenum on hood before install if applicable)

17)  Front Fenders( Put extensions on first)

18) Grille assy

19  Front bumper assy

20) Front and rear valance

21) Decals

Or something like that

kcmash

Once its painted, run all new brake and fuel lines with new clips and hardware. You wont want to even try once the engine is installed.

Once its painted, run all new brake and fuel lines with new clips and hardware.  You won't want to even try once the engine is installed.
Thx. I have new ss brake lines but was thinking to reuse the gas line. Should I buy a new one?

45 years is a long time to trust something that can burn your car down if it fails.

45 years is a long time to trust something that can burn your car down if it fails.
Live dangerously? Ok...j/k. Point taken. Will add it it the list. Now I am thinking I need to replace all the stupid nylon gas lines in the 87 Bronco II.  Those things are awful

Once its painted, run all new brake and fuel lines with new clips and hardware.  You won't want to even try once the engine is installed.
Thx. I have new ss brake lines but was thinking to reuse the gas line. Should I buy a new one?
I used SST brake lines thinking that would be wise.  They are a bear to get seated in all the brass fittings.  A real chore to stop leaks.  I suggest the non-stainless original style lines.  It's not like these cars see road salt anymore.

kcmash

Back