Power source for dome Light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 429 Super Cobra Jet, 4.11, Detroit Locker
My 1971 Mach 1 came with three interior lights, the dome light, and one interior light installed on each sail panel (has Ford part numbers). 

BEFORE I install the headliner, I need to know the power source for these lights: where does the wiring plug into to access power--keeping in mind that the lights will turn on with doors opening. Thank you.

You'll need to tap into the black/blue wires to power the dome light. I suspect it uses a pigtail that plugs between the underdash harness and the passenger side door jamb.

You'll need to tap into the black/blue wires to power the dome light.  I suspect it uses a pigtail that plugs between the underdash harness and the passenger side door jamb.
Thank you for that.

So, if I remove the kick panel on driver side, I'll find a blue-black wire that I can splice into--as long as my splice is located between the fuse box and the door jam?

The black/blue wire is not directly fused, but is turned on by the fused green/yellow wire at the door jamb switch. You can tap into the black/blue wire at any point.

The line for the dome light is part of the tail lamp harness, and the connector is over the driver's side rear wheelhouse. It's a rubber bullet type female connector. 71-73s never came with the sail panel lights, those were 69-70 items and some other car lines (Thunderbird, Cougar). You'll need to make a harness to adapt those sail panel lights. IIRC, they have a two position male/female connector. One is power, the other is a ground.

Back