Road Trips - Hotel Parking lots. Do you feel your car is safe?

Mondo-Combo.png

Thats cool looking man. Congrats! What are the times with the boat? Do you have videos?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for my two nights on this road trip I was glad to find two great Airbnb properties that offer secured garages. I'm certainly pleased with that outcome. My next move was KOA campgrounds where I could pitch a tent right next to the car, or even sleep in it if I wanted to. Fold down the back seats, put the feet in the trunk and my head behind the seats. LOL. I'm sure someone has done it.

Have done a little more than sleep back there, lol.

• Like 2

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Hey, I really enjoy road trips.

But I would check out the cost to have it shipped and not worry about the drive, staying overnight a few times and worrying the "what if".

No dis-respect mpbsr, but why have one of the best looking mustangs ever made and not drive it?    

Unless someone has a concourse show car or a museum piece me thinks it should be driven.    ::thumb::

Each to his own,

Bru

• Like 2

But I would check out the cost to have it shipped and not worry about the drive, staying overnight a few times and worrying the "what if".

No dis-respect mpbsr, but why have one of the best looking mustangs ever made and not drive it?    

Unless someone has a concourse show car or a museum piece me thinks it should be driven.    ::thumb::

Each to his own,

Bru

Exactly, too each their own. Why even bring this up?  :chin:

• Like 1

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

I've done 2 long hauls and many overnight trips. Park in a well lit area is the best bet. If someone wants to steal it they're gonna hook it and drag it. Disabling the ignition or disconnecting the battery isn't gonna stop them. A GPS tracker or a "burner phone" with GPS is a way to maybe find it afterward. Best bet... have your insurance paid up. Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. As the early Mustang guys tell us "nobody wants those big ol pigs anyway" LOL!!

• Like 1

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Each to his own,

Bru

Just putting out a different opinion, I thought that was permitted.

Don't worry, it won't happen again.

• Like 2

Each to his own,

Bru

Just putting out a different opinion, I thought that was permitted.

Don't worry, it won't happen again.

+1

• Like 1

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Well, there is always the risk of waking up the next morning and finding you car gone.  Sorry to say. 

One thing to consider, is contacting your insurance company before your trip to find out "what if" happens.  How good is your coverage?  Have you had a professional appraisal to confirm what your car is actually worth?  Does your insurance company accept this value?  Will you get stated value, some book value or what ever?  Is your coverage enough to replace your car? 

Never had any of my vehicles stolen, but I did have my every day car totalled years ago.  That was an experience, their book value and mine were miles apart.  Also found out that I could not sue my insurance company as there is a clause built in were I must accept an arbitators findings period.

I agree.  I stay at various shows throughout the year and take my car on overnight road trips.  Luckily I have never had any problems. If someone wants it bad enough they will get it. I figure let them have it.... I got good insurance LOL.  Its insured for more than I got into the car and I could easily build another with the money from insurance. Dont get me wrong, I really like my car and don't want it to come up missing, but I could build a pretty nice ride for the $40k+ its insured for.  :D

I'm starting to think along those lines.  Absolutely do your best to minimize opportunities for thefts to occur and hope for the best, but at some point you gotta realize there's only so much that can be done and filing an insurance claim is the only option left.  I know on the surface, I would lose money on the deal if mine were to be stolen [without recovery], but insurance would allow me to easily rebuild it (providing I start with a much better specimen than I originally did, of course).

Lots of good advice floating around in this thread.  ::thumb::

• Like 1

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Mondo-Combo.png

Thats cool looking man. Congrats! What are the times with the boat? Do you have videos?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes, I have video, but they're from back in '65-'67, when the flatbottom set 5 world records. Speed was 131.24 in quarter, on injected methanol/nitro.  The Hydro turned 128/130 back then on gas/supercharged in the quarter. What the Mach 1 can do in the quarter mile, on unleaded, is anyone's guess!

• Like 1