Two Questions: Please tell me what these parts do (photos)

What does this little pneumatic valve attached to my heater hose do?

What is this small bolt on plate with the two holes in the right side of my intake manifold for?

Thanks for your help!

20200916_131640.jpg

20200916_131635.jpg

The first picture is the heater control valve.  It's vacuum operated and connected to the heater control.  Basically, when you move the slider to heat, the valve opens to allow coolant flow to the heater core.

The second picture is the heater stove for a carb choke.

Jason (71 Mach 1, 351C 4V, 4 Spd. Toploader, Grabber Blue)

14 minutes ago, trillizo_y_uno said:

The first picture is the heater control valve.  It's vacuum operated and connected to the heater control.  Basically, when you move the slider to heat, the valve opens to allow coolant flow to the heater core.

The second picture is the heater stove for a carb choke.

Thanks for the quick reply!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, mjseakan said:

Is the heater control valve an A/C car only part?

Sorry for the highjack.

Mike

Yes, A/C only. It shuts the hot water supply off when the control lever is moved to A/C

Worth noting, the heater control valves often corrode on the inside allowing coolant to flow through constantly.  It might be worth inspecting, especially if you have an original one.

Jason (71 Mach 1, 351C 4V, 4 Spd. Toploader, Grabber Blue)

Does every car have the heater stove thing? I've noticed that on my 71, non AC and always wondered what it was for.

Does it serve any purpose or can it just be removed since the choke is now connected to +12?

57 minutes ago, SteveO_71 said:

Does every car have the heater stove thing? I've noticed that on my 71, non AC and always wondered what it was for.

Does it serve any purpose or can it just be removed since the choke is now connected to +12?

I believe it was there on all small blocks to provide heat faster to the choke.. I don't know about the big block engines. Here is my 73 351C.

20170313_163529.jpg

Edited by rackerm

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

52 minutes ago, SteveO_71 said:

Mine is not hooked up. I too was running an electric choke.