Ignition Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
Twice in the past two months my car has produced a sound while at idle that sounds a lot like the starter is trying to engage. We recently replaced the key switch mainly because it was broken. The car did the same thing a couple days ago so the problem is somewhere down the line. Could be the mechanical linkage or the electric switch in the column. When the car does make the sound it is not like a full starter engage, more like a partial engage. If your car is at idle and you turn the key to 'start', the sound is like that but less intense. It is hard to explain :s, but I think the problem is in the electric switch. But it could also be the mechanical linkage. Any ideas on where to start first? I can test the switch easily enough with an Ohm meter but replacing it calls for dropping the steering column. The Ford shop manual, Volume Three Electrical, has six pages on the subject. I don't think Ford devotes six pages to rebuilding a toploader.

mike

If I recall, the electrical switch at the bottom of the column is adjustable for position. I would do the adjustment first and then proceed from there. Dropping the column really isn't that much of a problem. Remove the Neg battery cable, remove the lower cover and undo 4 nuts and it will drop down.

Steve

It's been a few years (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), but if I recall that sound is the Solenoid trying to engage. Could be a grounded wire (completing the circuit that causes it to engage) or the solenoid going bad.

How regularly is this happening?

It's been a few years (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), but if I recall that sound is the Solenoid trying to engage. Could be a grounded wire (completing the circuit that causes it to engage) or the solenoid going bad.

Could be correct on that but if it was not dong it before the switch change I would start there

The solenoid is a relay with contacts that pass battery voltage/current to the starter motor. The 16 gauge wire closest to the battery cable activates the coil in the solenoid that pulls in the contacts when the ignition is in the "start" position. The solenoid mount is the ground to the body. If the "start" wire is grounding out, there would be insufficient current to activate the coil. Usually if the solenoid fails, the contacts won't connect because of pitting or a weak coil, or the contacts won't release because they weld together, however intermittant contact is possible if the return spring on the coil plunger is broken or weak. If that was it, you might be able to bang on the top of the solenoid with your hand and make it engage.

Steve

Three times in two months. Not a big problem but VERY annoying at best. The starter is a month old.

mike

If I'm following, your starter gear is engaging the flywheel randomly when the motor is at idle?
That seems to be the case.

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it do this while in drive or while in park?

If it does this in drive then try this: With the car turned off put it in 'drive', put your foot on the brake and try turning on the ignition. It should NOT crank.

Does it do this while in drive or while in park?

If it does this in drive then try this: With the car turned off put it in 'drive', put your foot on the brake and try turning on the ignition. It should NOT crank.
This is a toploader and I always turn the key two clicks and take the car out of reverse before I attempt a start. I am beginning to think it may have something to do with the reverse lockout rod some how interfering with the ignition switch actuator rod. We need to replace a bushing as we have been having some minor problems with getting the reverse lockout to engage sometimes. I need to step on the clutch and take the car out of reverse and try again to put it into reverse. Something about a worn bushing which is easy to replace. I will try that first and see if the problem recurs.

mike

I had the solenoid in my CJ7 do this--uses same setup--it would actually stay engaged with the key off. You had to jump out and hit it to get it to disengage. It was a brand new one too--replaced it and never had another issue.

The solenoid is a relay with contacts that pass battery voltage/current to the starter motor. The 16 gauge wire closest to the battery cable activates the coil in the solenoid that pulls in the contacts when the ignition is in the "start" position. The solenoid mount is the ground to the body. If the "start" wire is grounding out, there would be insufficient current to activate the coil. Usually if the solenoid fails, the contacts won't connect because of pitting or a weak coil, or the contacts won't release because they weld together, however intermittant contact is possible if the return spring on the coil plunger is broken or weak. If that was it, you might be able to bang on the top of the solenoid with your hand and make it engage.

Steve

Back