Dumb Question: How do I put fuel in?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcgill89

Reaction score
My Car
None
The latest in my never-ending series of questions:

My issue now is that I can't gas it up. I took it to the station and set the pump to put some 91 octane in, and after 1 gallon the pump stopped....I started it again, and then gas came out the filler hole. MY gauge says it's on E, but I can't put fuel in. Is there some kind of vent I should know about? I tried to blow in the gas hole to see if there was an obstruction, and got a face full of fuel. Last time I pull an idiot move like that.

On a whim, I stuck a 1 foot wire down through the filler. When I pulled it out it had gas on it. Is it possible my fuel gauge is off? How would I troubleshoot that?

On a whim, I stuck a 1 foot wire down through the filler. When I pulled it out it had gas on it. Is it possible my fuel gauge is off? How would I troubleshoot that?
If you have a digital volt meter, you could set it on ohms, remove the wire to the sender at the tank and take a reading between the terminal and a good ground. It sounds like the sender or gauge is bad, and it's usually the sender. From memory, I think the sender reads about 10 ohms when the tank is full and around 70 when it's empty.

Steve

Same happend to me also, but the gauge showed half and the car stopped:D Eventually the gauge stayed on E all the time. For me it was the sending unit.

Someone had installed a drain plug on my tank,so emtying the tank was easy. But i will recomend as little fuel as possible when changing:Dhehehe...my floor was full of buckets with fuel:))

If you connect the gauge wire direct to ground, the needle should move, if it does, its your sending unit.

I'm thinking it's the sending unit. I took a piece of vacuum hose about 2 feet long and snaked it down into the filler, and was able to blow bubbles in the gas before it was all the way down. Looks like I need to think about replacing the sender. Unfortunately, I've got a full tank of gas. I'm going to start syphoning it out ito my other cars. At least it won't go to waste.

Same happend to me also, but the gauge showed half and the car stopped:D Eventually the gauge stayed on E all the time. For me it was the sending unit.

Someone had installed a drain plug on my tank,so emtying the tank was easy. But i will recomend as little fuel as possible when changing:Dhehehe...my floor was full of buckets with fuel:))

If you connect the gauge wire direct to ground, the needle should move, if it does, its your sending unit.

I'm going to start syphoning it out ito my other cars. At least it won't go to waste.

I used one of those hand pump siphons that you can pick up at Wal Mart or Autozone. Worked very well, got some exercise pumping the thing.

Hi does that trick work on a convertible?

my gauge only shows half when I fill it up

and when showing empty its really half full

any ideas

thanks John

I will guess the sending unit for you as well lastfairlaine.

When connecting the gauge wire direct to ground the gauge should go direct to full...if it does.....no problem with the gauge.

Check ground wire by the tank as well....could be that easy:)

Anyhow i think these old gauges wouldnt be 100% correct after all these years:))

Just a tip; if you replace your sending unit and have emptied your gas tank, check where the guage sits around the "E" before you put gas back in the tank. When I changed mine I would not run out of gas until just below the "E"; the new sending unit runs out right on the "E".

Back