Rear interior Quarter panel trim part needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
To change my drip rails I had to remove the rear plastic quarter panels and while I have them out I'd like to replace the worn outer trim pieces (weather stripping ?) that are stapled on. Does anyone know who may have those trim pieces?

trim1.jpgTrim2.jpg

Hi, I have them

Don

www.ohiomustang.com

Item #QTW71

71-73 WINDLACE, INTERIOR QUARTER TRIM

Pair. Use to trim the edges of rear interior quarter panels. Black, White, Vermillion or Ginger.

Hi, I have them

Don

www.ohiomustang.com

Item #QTW71

71-73 WINDLACE, INTERIOR QUARTER TRIM

Pair. Use to trim the edges of rear interior quarter panels. Black, White, Vermillion or Ginger.

Thanks Don, exactly what I was looking for, just ordered them!

Jim

Anyone have any recommendations on removing and putting in the new staples (huge) for replacement of the windlace on the interior quarter trim, is a special stapler needed? Tried pulling out with needle nose pliers but they won't budge, afraid I'll damage the quarter trim getting them out, thinking about trying a dremel to cut them off since I'm replacing the windlace anyway???

Trim2.jpg

t

Dremal might do it but you still have to pull the pieces out of the other side

I use an awl and needle nose pliers to open the staples.

Then the trim will pry off bringing the stapes with it.

BE CAREFUL do not damage the panel.

I installed mine with a standard arrow hand stapler, 3/8 or 1/2 staples [ I forget which - measure your old ones ]

The stapler will start them, then use pliers to push them the rest of the way through and fold over.

Color the staples with touch up paint, most are hidden but you can see some of them - silver sticks out bad on a black panel

I did almost the same thing with mine. I carefully pried off the old staples with a pin punch and needle nose pliers. When I was putting the new ones on, I marked where the staple legs would go through and drilled small holes (1/64th or so), pushed the staples through and bent the legs over with pliers.

Steve

Had mine upholstered about 10 years ago...looked bad so I bought the fiberglass repros about 5 years ago-dont look nice either.

Any ideas where I can get a couple of good, pref white ,rear quarter panels?

Thanks,

Adrian

White - convertible panels

with power windows ?

Or roll up type?

Don

I just did mine and was thinking the same thing. I ended up cutting the old staples right in the middle with a pair of dikes, then I gently straightened out the staples(all still in the panel), so the sharp ends were pointing straight up.

Then I took the new windlace and placed it on the old staples and used a pair of needlenose pliers over the windlace to secure them onto the old staples.

They pierced through the new winlace pretty easily. Then I just bent the staples back down and then squeezed(crimped) them on with a pair of regular pliers. They secured very tightly and I didn't have to remove any staples, except for one or two that broke.

It took a little time, but I liked not having to put new staple in and punching new holes.

I was pretty stoked when I was done and it was secured very tightly and with all the factory staples. How's that for concourse?

The windlace I got from Don were perfect. I followed his instuctions of using an awl and needle nose pliers to open the staples then pull most of them out but had a few that wouldn't budge so rather than risk cracking the quarter panel I used my dremel to cut the staple then pulled them out. They turned out really great, odd how such a small detail can made so much difference on the interior. The old ones was worn through in a few places. I was the only one that probably noticed it but it always bothered me. After all the labor of removing the old ones and putting the new ones on I proudly showed my work to my wife...she asked "what's different?"windlace.jpg

The windlace I got from Don were perfect. I followed his instuctions of using an awl and needle nose pliers to open the staples then pull most of them out but had a few that wouldn't budge so rather than risk cracking the quarter panel I used my dremel to cut the staple then pulled them out. They turned out really great, odd how such a small detail can made so much difference on the interior. The old ones was worn through in a few places. I was the only one that probably noticed it but it always bothered me. After all the labor of removing the old ones and putting the new ones on I proudly showed my work to my wife...she asked "what's different?"
Women:mad:

Back