What differenciates the 1971-73 Mustangs vs the earlier models?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
This question is aimed at those who have owned and driven the 1970 and earlier models; Is there anything besides the ride quality which I have read a lot in the forum that these 1971-73 Mustangs have that earlier ones simply lack?

Last edited by a moderator:
The fastbacks are far more impractical than their predecessors - and thus much cooler!

Also cool on our cars is the hidden wipers and the sleeker angled windscreen.

One thing I do miss about my old '70 Mach 1, and that was seeing the gorgeous quarter-panel "hips" when looking in the side rear-view mirrors.

I feel in general they(70 and older) feel cheaper made. Not as quiet and they feel loose. I guess this all still refers to quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I do miss about my old '70 Mach 1, and that was seeing the gorgeous quarter-panel "hips" when looking in the side rear-view mirrors.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that on my 70 Sportsroof. Thanks for the memory. ;)

Stock to stock, driving an early stang feels like driving a falcon, and driving a 71-73, feels like driving a torino. The big boys look, feel, and drive like a 70's car. Both of my friends who have chevy's both commented it smells like a 70's car the first time they road in it.

Yeah, the 67 wasn't too bad. But at 6'4" I needed all I can get. One of the reasons I like the our convertibles is even with the top up I have more head room than the fastbacks or coupes. (No headliner makes this possible).

Other cool thing about our Mustang - Fits any engine size.

Yeah, the 67 wasn't too bad. But at 6'4" I needed all I can get. One of the reasons I like the our convertibles is even with the top up I have more head room than the fastbacks or coupes. (No headliner makes this possible).

hehe...Yup...Im 6'5" and if my mustang was any smaller i couldnt drive it confy...just barley enough room for me in my fastback...And i cant wear a hat while driving her...it mite rub my good headliner...lol

Good point, I'm 6'4 also and have plenty of headroom with the top up.

I recieved my first Mustang at 12 yrs old, a birthday present from my parents. It was a 65 with a 200 and auto, I drove the car all around until I tore it apart a year later. I collected parts for about 6 years and sold it for a 73... I later sold the 73 to Don of OMS and that car started his business. I think someone said it best as it does feel like a falcon, unrefined, loud, simple and looks great. We took my 71 out to dinner last night and the Mrs is finally starting to like the car. She said the car seemed cozy and that it was like sitting next to me on the couch... I guess I couldn't do any better unless it was a convertible.:)

Back