vinyl dye question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepasquale1

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Mach 1
Hey guys

I need to dye a set of ginger sports interior type door pulls to black.

Has anyone ever done this?

Product and vendor recommendations?

I did dark blue to white. Prep is important. It was years ago. I went to a local paint shop and told them what I was doing. I also provided them a sample of the color. They mixed up a dye. It went on and looked wrong at first but a few days later it was almost a perfect match.

But the dye flakes off and you can see the blue underneath. They make black repo's I would go that route. I wish they made them in white.

the best paint by far i have found is Duplicolors universal black. I was so happy with it i bought a whole case of the old stock before they switched over to the smaller can.

I did dark blue to white. Prep is important. It was years ago. I went to a local paint shop and told them what I was doing. I also provided them a sample of the color. They mixed up a dye. It went on and looked wrong at first but a few days later it was almost a perfect match.

But the dye flakes off and you can see the blue underneath. They make black repo's I would go that route. I wish they made them in white.
Will. they do...

They are OK but not as good as the originals

Item #D1ZZ-6526655

71-73 DELUXE DOOR PULL, LH

Black, Blue, Ginger or White. Left Hand.

I have always dyed my panels and recently dyed my door pulls and panels from tan to black.

Like any coating, you want to thoroughly clean the surface first, then hit it LIGHTLY with some fine sand paper, like 800 or 1000. Clean it again and then wipe it down with some tack cloth.

Spray super light coats. I use Dupli-color Black gloss dye finish first to cover, then dust it over with the flat black dye that they make. It gives it a really nice OE finish that doesn't look painted on.

Otherwise, the gloss is too shiny and the flat is to dull and shows scuffs easily.

It's a weird format and usually you would apply flat first then gloss and I stumbled on it becasue I grabbed the wrong can a long time ago to put a final coat on. It came out so nice that I kept using the gloss first then final coat with the flat.

They always last, but in the event they scatch, you can touch up easily.

I'd take a picture, but you probably wouldn't be able to pick up the detail on camera. I'll check it out though and post it if it's visible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys

I need to dye a set of ginger sports interior type door pulls to black.

Has anyone ever done this?

Product and vendor recommendations?
By far the Best you will find is S.E.M. I've lost track of how many interiors I've done but have never had any crack or peel using this technique..DO NOT USE SAND PAPER if the part has texture..It will knock down or smooth out some of that texture..

I did the entire interior of my Camaro here's the result.

100_2505.JPG100_2563.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back