Pertronix II vs HEI....what would you like to know.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
This or next weekend, I will be replacing an original distributor which uses a Pertronix II module and converting it to a true high energy ignition system.

Is there anything you guys would like me to check to help you determine if this is a worthwhile upgrade?

I am not expecting any change in performance or gas mileage, although I will be checking. I am expecting my plugs/rotor and cap to last longer than 12k miles. My main purpose is to confirm this is an easy and reliable setup I will use on my new motor.

So far, I have about $250 into the new setup- Donor distributor, rebuild donor, new pickup, new springs, new vacuum advance($30 OUCH), wire harness, hei module, new HEI small diameter cap.

Here is more detail on what I am doing:

Engine:

Block 351W 1970

Carb 4V Edelbrock 600 CFM

Intake Manifold 4V Edelbrock Performer

Heads 2V Stock Windsor Heads

Exhaust 2V Stock Exhaust Manifold

Rockers Harland Sharp 1.6 Roller

Distributor Original Distributor(140K Miles) Withh Pertronix II Module

Cam Isky 388262 262 Supercam .445 lift, 262 duration, 108 lobe center

(Probably not the right application for me)

Coil- Mallory 30441

Installing

Distributor 1984 351W Duraspark

Module HEI External To Distributor

I got a new hei for mine too..Mine had a autolite dual point on it...last time i got points for it they charged me out the arse for them...I had enough...cause they just didnt last like a hei does ...I thought about getting the Pertronix for it...but priced it and thought..I could of just install a cheap Hei and be done with it...lol..Plus its hard to beat...Cheap and good spark..All i need....And after so many years i figured my distribitor probably getting pretty worn bearring wise.

Are you guys using factory Ram Air? If so, will your HEI distributors clear the air cleaner? If so, post up the parts you're using (I might be convinced that HEI is the way to go, providing it works with the factory Ram Air can).

Wolverine - I'm concerned to hear that Pertronix II went through plugs, caps, and rotors that quickly. I was planning a Flamethrower dizzy & Ignitor II set-up (to alleviate issues with using the factory tac), but have to reconsider if that combination is really a turd.

Are you guys using factory Ram Air? If so, will your HEI distributors clear the air cleaner? If so, post up the parts you're using (I might be convinced that HEI is the way to go, providing it works with the factory Ram Air can).

Wolverine - I'm concerned to hear that Pertronix II went through plugs, caps, and rotors that quickly. I was planning a Flamethrower dizzy & Ignitor II set-up (to alleviate issues with using the factory tac), but have to reconsider if that combination is really a turd.
I've got ram air and was informed air cleaner wouldn't clear an HEI distributor so went with Pertronic lll and a flamethrower lll coil. It'll take me 3 or 4 years to reach 12K on them so changing plugs and rotor isn't an issue with me. It's just a weekend cruiser.

Are you guys using factory Ram Air? If so, will your HEI distributors clear the air cleaner?
I am not using factor ram air, but my HEI can* look and will be sized EXACTLY AS STOCK with one small exception/improvement as noted below.

How can this be?

1. My donor distributor, pulled from a 1984 351W matches my old in regards to all dimensions. Physical match top to bottom. If you have a 351C, you pull a distributor from 460, and you have your match. I have these in hand so I am certain this works. (Years other than those listed can be used. The key in regards to the year is to pull a distributor from a NON EFI engine. EFI Engines do not have vacuum advance, and will not work in our application. Trucks did not get EFI until much later, so there are more donors in trucks than autos).

2. My coil WILL NOT be mounted in the cap.

3. My HEI Module will NOT BE mounted under the cap.

Because of 2 & 3, I can use a small diameter cap.

There are 2 fallacies regarding HEI ignitions like I am installing:

1. HEI Modules are only good to 5500 RPM. I test mine up to 7500 RPM without issue. Like the Ford Duracrap modules, the HEI modules probably had issues the first year or two after release. I see no evidence of this.

2. HEI systems need large caps. I test mine up to 7500 RPM without cross fire. If you need more RPM, then you probably need MSD capacitor system.

I don't know why Ford went to larger caps...I am thinking MARKETING, or to be safe. But, you can use the larger diameter cap if you want, and it fits.

*I could use a Ford SOCKETED distributor cap, but I have hated that cap for 40 years. Always struggling to keep the wires in the cap. I will be using a male studded cap. Not sure you can tell the difference once the wires are on.

I drive my car 10k+ miles a year, and quite frankly I think the cap and rotors we have to buy are pieces of garbage. I have tried all brands, many price ranges without noticeable difference in longevity. I don't blame the Ignitor II. As far as I can tell, it is doing it's job...sending a LOW VOLTAGE LOW CURRENT signal to the coil for charging. EXACTLY like the mechanical points, except it doesn't wear out. That is why the plugs only last 12k miles...just like they are supposed to.

The Pertronix Ignitor II setup is LOW VOLTAGE LOW CURRENT. It can only provide about 1/4 the energy a true HEI system can handle. Is 1/4th the energy enough to fire your motor....yes. NO ONE has proven more energy helps in any measurable way regarding performance. But, what could it hurt.

HEI does help in keeping your plugs clean. No doubt about that. I will find out first hand how it helps rotor and cap longevity.

As a result, if I am installing a new ignition system, I am buying/building

1. Stock style FORD DURASPARK distributor with small cap, but could use wide cap. Without pulling the cap, it appears exactly as stock. Air cleaner clearance, ram air clearance, wire routing and unobtrusive looks are big deals to me.

2. Coil externally mounted...easier to trouble shoot if I have an issue.

3. HEI Module externally mounted. This guy needs to be kept cool, and the further away from the motor the better. Under the cap does not meet that criteria.

In regards to HEI distributors, I do not see a Pertronix HEI system with external coil and HEI module. So, they are out of the running. MSD makes pro-billet distributors that are small cap with an external module. But, they look a little tall. Also, MSD distributors need MSD parts- MSD Cap, MSD Rotor, MSD Module, MSD Mag Pickup, MSD Vacuum Advance. That does not appeal to me. All parts for my system are stock at the neighborhood auto parts store. Other vendors do not excite me due to typical aftermarket experiences.

Additional info here(warning...they name the article DIRT CHEAP...but I don't see how you get away with under $200 and feel good with it):

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm

If you do not have access to an auto salvage yard, and MUST BUY a completed ignition system, I would try(never used so cannot recommend)

http://www.performancedistributors.com/fordduraspark.htm

I do not see that they offer a small diameter cap option, though you might be able to simply remove the cap and adapter and install one yourself.

And one LAST note. You can go to your neighborhood store and buy a distributor which you can use in an HEI ignition system for probably $70...just build your own wire harness and add coil and HEI module. Simply ask for a distributor for a (302,351W, 351M/400/460 = Cleveland) out of a 1984 F-150. Probably get a lifetime warranty. However, for me, there is nothing like opening the hood, and knowing that everything under there has my blood, my sweat and few of my beers on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I am expecting my plugs/rotor and cap to last longer than 12k miles. My main purpose is to confirm this is an easy and reliable setup I will use on my new motor...
I'm always picking up new information on this site, I never assumed my rotor or cap may only last 12K. After reading Wolverine's post I couldn't resist checking out my rotor and cap, sure enough both were badly worn. I had replaced the points about 2K ago with an ignitor lll and the coil with a flamethrower lll, at the time I checked the cap and rotor they were fine, I just cleaned/scuffed the rotor contact points up and put it back on. At that time the "arcing damage" in this pic wasn't on my rotor, interesting find.

arcing.jpg

The Petronices module/points swap is a great way to go and have used them for many years on other cars without any issue.

On this build I went with the Flamethrower billet distributor swap in lieu of the keeping the Ford distro.

While the performance is great, the distibutor is way taller then the factory one and I had to put a spacer under my air cleaner to get it to clear.

In my haste to order it, there may be a lower profille one, and I just missed it, but some

thing to keep in mind if you are getting he billet distro.

So far I really like the Duraspark. I've had it in for 2 years now along with the old Ford Motorsport MSD. I had the distributor set-up to give 26 degrees advance by 3200 rpm. With 10 degrees initial and a total of 36* the engine accelerates well without detonation on 87 octane, despite the open chambered heads. I like parts that can be replaced by a run to NAPA in any city in the country.

So far I really like the Duraspark. I've had it in for 2 years now along with the old Ford Motorsport MSD. I had the distributor set-up to give 26 degrees advance by 3200 rpm. With 10 degrees initial and a total of 36* the engine accelerates well without detonation on 87 octane, despite the open chambered heads. I like parts that can be replaced by a run to NAPA in any city in the country.
OK - so let's say my wife was asking me what she could buy for the Rustang as an anniversary present (which she did...) - which collection of parts would I be pointing her toward for an HEI set-up that would work with factory Ram Air, as well as what you're talking about Jeff?

Summit Racing, NAPA, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Advance, Auto Parts... doesn't matter - as well, specific brand-names are inconsequential as well (i.e., I'm not 'brand-loyal' - if it works, it works).

I converted my stock 258/I-6-powered Jeep over to a Motorcraft/Duraspark & Ford 300 Super-Coil set-up and it runs like a champ... spark plug gaps at .055" with no knocking, pinging, rich-condition, etc. It really woke up the tired old six-popper after I stuck an MC2100 on top of the intake.

Which collection of parts would I be pointing her toward for an HEI set-up that would work with factory Ram Air, as well as what you're talking about Jeff?

I converted my stock 258/I-6-powered Jeep over to a Motorcraft/Duraspark & Ford 300 Super-Coil set-up and it runs like a champ... spark plug gaps at .055" with no knocking, pinging, rich-condition, etc. It really woke up the tired old six-popper after I stuck an MC2100 on top of the intake.
If your wife REALLY loves you, she would go to the boneyard and pull a NON EFI Duraspark distributor out of a Ford and give it to you to rebuild. If you have a 302, she needs to pull a 302. If you have a 351W, she needs to pull a 351W...if you have a 351C, she needs to pull a 351M, 400, or 460. Except for the guts, the distributor should be an exact match of the one originally installed in your motor.

Here in lala land, on my most previous boneyard run, I found 2 Duraspark NON-EFI ELECTRONIC distributors... $35 +$10 core. A did not pull a Duraspark module, but those run $30, so I opted to do an HEI conversion instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found my distributor in an early 80s Lincoln with a 460. Remanufactured ones are available at most parts stores. The original coil and control box would work well. I had access to the Motorsports box and coil from one of the racecars for a smokin' good deal. The distributor will work with a standard cap and the ram air. I am using the standard .032" plug gap with mine.

Back