• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

72 Sprint Coupe on CL $1000

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Here's one that would be good to save (not part out).

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3203650144.html

Rare 1972 Sprint Q code coupe. The Q code; Cobra Jet is easy to verify but not sure how to determine the Sprint package.

Probably the door tag/sticker would have the sprint trim codes...

Ray

My guess as to the "one of four remaining" might be from the Sprint registry > www.1972mustangsprint.com/

If so he should have referenced that as his basis. But hey it's Craigslist, not Hemmings. LOL

For the 72 hardtops (both Grande's and plain 01's) there were only 1041 equipped with

the 351 Cobra Jet motor. If you start breaking it down further, it is a rare one.

Sure would be a great addition to a for true Sprint collector/enthusiast.

Hope someone sees the value and restores it properly.

Ray

I emailed the guy about the car and here is his reply:

The inside floor boards and interior needs to be replaced from front to trunk. And yes the interior is from my wifes 71 Mustang. Her 71 Mustang was rusted so bad that the back differencial came through the trunk floor. I changed it all over in 1980 because my wifes interior was in better shape than that of the Sprint. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of what a Sprint was at that time. I was a Chevy guy and didn't check into it. I believe the frame rails are still in good shape. Can't really tell until the old flooring has been removed. As far as the engine goes I ran the car for about 13 years until it started to have a ticking sound in it. I am not sure if it is a tappet or a connecting rod cap. I believe it is the later so I stopped driving it until I had time to pull the engine and tear it down again. When I did the restoration in 80 I replace everything in the engine to new parts, forged steel M4 crank, "K" cam, anti-pump lifters with adjustable push rods, new pistons and connecting rods and valves. The heads were reworked by Summet Auto Racing Co. and has brass valve guides in them, so I could use unleaded gas. And I don't believe there is more than 30K on the engine. But I drove it hard when it was running good. The car had almost a 100K on it when I bought it and it was an original Oaklahoma car. But I bought it in Ohio. I used good Valvoline oil in it so all the parts should still be good. I wanted to tear it down but never got the chance. So if no one buys the car I just might do that to make sure it is OK now that I am retired and have all the time in the world but no money. When I was working I had the money but not the time. Aint that the way it goes? I feel that this car is well worth what I am asking for it and who ever buys and and if they do a complete original restoration on it, it will be worth a lot of money. It will be one of a few Mustang Sprints with a 351CJ engine and C6 transmission put into a Mustang Coupe, which there were only 90 originally built. My car was built in April of 1972. And that was the last month that they built any. A total restoration is going to cost several $1,000 of dollars but it will be worth it in the end.

I hope this answered your question.

Sincerely

Gerald McClellan

It would be very interesting to see a Marti on this one.

The fact that it is an OK car makes it more appealing to me but I am kidding myself that I have the resources to do this restoration proud.

Lots of structural sheetmetal work!

And I don't need another one sitting waiting on the lottery!!!!

:whistling:

Am I the only one that wishes he had the money to save all the good ones?????

I guess I should have capitalized "WISHES"!!!

Ray

No I am waiting on the lottery to start my restoration shop! LOL

Ray
Nope. Heck, I just want to save the ones I already have first.

That is truly a damned shame........ I know, I lost a B1 in much the same in 1977. I couldn't afford full coverage so, you know the rest. Chuck

It would be very interesting to see a Marti on this one.

The fact that it is an OK car makes it more appealing to me but I am kidding myself that I have the resources to do this restoration proud.

Lots of structural sheetmetal work!

And I don't need another one sitting waiting on the lottery!!!!

:whistling:

Ray
Ray, These are not starving children and you are not Mother Teresa. Charity starts at home. So..... think the red car, the red car, the red car. Chuck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is a shame. Was kinda hoping it was a clone. The ram air decal isn't correct for the Boss. Boss 351's just used the "RAM AIR". But this is a common mistake for restorations.

That would be tough to save!

Ray

Those front tires look like Bias plies wonder if it was a factory error on the "351 Ram Air?"

Back