15x7 magnum 500

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 convert 351c
want to buy new wheels this year for my 72. Just got off the phone with a wheel maker for muscle cars. He claims i should stick with 15x7 fronts because 15x8 will upset the front end geometry. i have had after market 8" wheels for a few years and didnt think there was a problem. On the rear he said 8" are fine...up to 10" is fine as well. anyone had any problems with 8's in the front vs 7's? Also he said he would recommend Cooper over BFG.

Does cooper still make a 15" tire in muscle car sizes? BFG is about the only game left in town or so it seemed a couple of months ago when I was putting new rubber on my 15x7 rims.

I went from 17x8 wheels to 14x7, but kept the overall width of the tire just 0.4" less, and the diameter a little larger.

With the 17x8 wheels, my tires were abouur 25"x9.3".

With the 14"x7 wheels the tire size is 26.4"x8.9"

I notice no difference

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to buy a staggered set 17x8's and 17x9's.

Though I have BFG T/A's on both Stangs, and have used T/A's exclusively since the 80's. However they're obsolete as a performance tire. To use decent rubber on a driver car, IMHO 17's are de riguer. Thankfully the 71-73 Stangs can wear the larger wheel with out looking all "Hot Wheels".

So if anyone would rather have a nice set of TT D's in 15x7 and 15x8 with one year old BFG T/A's, let me know. As I'm, going larger, including 8" front rim width. Prolly going to use Nitto 555 245/45/17 and 255/45/17

Tubo

Just got off the phone with a wheel maker for muscle cars. He claims i should stick with 15x7 fronts because 15x8 will upset the front end geometry.

Also he said he would recommend Cooper over BFG.
As for the wheels... horse hockey.

As for the tire choice... also horse hockey (although there's nothing wrong with Coopers... if he's sellin' 'em, there's probably more profit margin in them ::thumb::

this guy doesnt sell tires, only steel wheels. funny that everyone knows the back spacing on mustang wheels but nobody knows/mentions offset. leads me to believe factory was a 0 offset originally. i dont even know if there is any affect on wheel bearings if you change the offset? hoping its just a fitment issue. as for 17" tires im looking at these Tubo; http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-sport-a-s-3/tire-details#techspecs the 235x55x17's are 27.2" tall. that would fill the wheel wells quite a bit.

this guy doesnt sell tires, only steel wheels. funny that everyone knows the back spacing on mustang wheels but nobody knows/mentions offset. leads me to believe factory was a 0 offset originally. i dont even know if there is any affect on wheel bearings if you change the offset? hoping its just a fitment issue. as for 17" tires im looking at these Tubo; http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-sport-a-s-3/tire-details#techspecs

Generally speaking if you know what one measurement is and the wheel width you can figure out the other.

Screw Michelin and the overpriced tires they sell. In recent years I have stuck with BFG, Hankook, and Nitto for a large majority of the tires I buy. Not a fan of Goodyear or Cooper anymore either.

want to buy new wheels this year for my 72. Just got off the phone with a wheel maker for muscle cars. He claims i should stick with 15x7 fronts because 15x8 will upset the front end geometry. i have had after market 8" wheels for a few years and didnt think there was a problem. On the rear he said 8" are fine...up to 10" is fine as well. anyone had any problems with 8's in the front vs 7's? Also he said he would recommend Cooper over BFG.
Have a single 15x7 original Ford Magnum w/ Sept '72 date if that helps.

Would be a VG 'daily driver'. Only $100 plus ride fr S7K 3J7 Canada.

Tubo-what you are planning is exactly what I did except I went with a slightly narrower tire up front to compensate for my lack of power steering. I used BFG g-force radials (not the drag radials) I've been pretty happy and they have decent grip and ride very nicely.

Back