1964 1/2 D code 4 speed Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
As most know I have several years of Mustangs. While roaming around the net I found a 1964 1/2 Mustang coupe, D code 289 4-V, 4 speed that has bee stored for the last 35 years. It has a set of RWL polyglas Goodyears on it so been there a while. It is RED with white interior. He will not send pic of door plate but says it matches the VIN. He did send pic of the inner fender stamped with the D. Some people afraid to let full VIN# out don't know why.

The car looks complete and has some minor rust but no holes in the floors.

For those that do not know the early Mustangs the D code was made from April until around first of August 64, with a few, around 250 pre production units being sold to public. The engine block and bell housing is different, has different bolt patterns. Seems like first 91 days of production. Most information out there, including articles by Mustang Monthly miss the fact that the 4 speed in the D code is also unique to the 64 1/2. The output shaft has 25 splines. If you opted for the 289 Hi Po you got a 28 spline output. So the drive shaft and transmission are another of the 64 1/2 things that are different.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/mustang-1964/

This was the first model to get the now famous Toploader four speed. They broke the tail shaft and Ford went to 28 spline for all in August.

The car looks pretty complete, never wrecked, not a total rust bucket but will need some work. Has all the correct date code body panels and will require a complete restore.

I would like to hear opinions on what the price should be? Do any members own this model and know current values? I know the verts and very rare fastbacks 64 1/2 bring more money.

By the way in my hoard I have one of the 25 spline 4 speed transmissions, bell housing and clutch fork along with the shifter and linkage so I have a spare. I can probably get for $3,000 he is asking $3,700.

Don't need it but rare car for sure. Let me hear some opinions.

Sounds like a fair price for an early convertible. Ask him if he will at least give you the date code from the data plate. If it's 05C, I would be all over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David. I checked some back issues of Mustang Times and the prices seem to be all over the place for 64 1/2's. From $3,000.00 for a coupe with "D" 289 4sp with bench seat to $47,000.00 for a "K" 289 4sp vert. No surprise on the K code. If you could pick that one up for 3K, that would probably be a good buy. There will always be a good market for those cars with the early Mustang collectors. And if you go back on your meds and decide you don't need it anymore, "Turning" it shouldn't be a problem.

It's good that you have some spare 25 spline parts. An old high school buddy had one that he finally installed a late model 302 and 4sp to replace the 260 with the early 4sp after parts availability became a problem. His Dad was a mechanic at the local Lincoln/Mercury dealer so there were a lot more "Muscle Parts" available from Ford for a 302 than for the 260!

I'm sorta in the same boat as you. Don't need anything else in the yard, but to have just for the sake of being one of the "First" early Mustang's would be great!

Sounds like a fair price for an early convertible. Ask him if he will at least give you the date code from the data plate. If it's 05C, I would be all over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a coupe not a vert. 289 4-V , 4 speed. If it was a vert I would have already gone to get it, lol.

Back