1971 cougar power disk brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff717

Reaction score
My Car
1972 sprint fastback mustang
I have a 1972 sprint fastback. The car has non power drums on it right now. I found a 1971 cougar for cheap. It has power disk front brakes. From all I read the brakes are the same on the two cars. What do u think could I take the power disks from the cougar and put them on my mustang?

I have a 1972 sprint fastback. The car has non power drums on it right now. I found a 1971 cougar for cheap. It has power disk front brakes. From all I read the brakes are the same on the two cars. What do u think could I take the power disks from the cougar and put them on my mustang?
They are the exact same parts - I have bought many Cougar parts cars over the years for my 71-73 projects.

Not a bad project - hope you have fun with it!

- Paul

Take the spindles, grab the combination valve, master cylinder (use it to turn in as a core if you have to), grab the power brake booster (take the hose and fitting too) and the brake pedal if you are going to go with power brakes (highly recommended). The leverage point of the power brake pedal is different than the manual.

Take the spindles, grab the combination valve, master cylinder (use it to turn in as a core if you have to), grab the power brake booster (take the hose and fitting too) and the brake pedal if you are going to go with power brakes (highly recommended). The leverage point of the power brake pedal is different than the manual.
Computercarguy hit the nail on the head. Be sure to get everything he listed, especially the pedal hanger since the leverage point is different on your manual brakes. 71-73 Mustang/Cougar shared the same chassis. If the cougar is a complete car try to remove as much as you can get away with. Nothing like missing one little bracket to derail your project. If the rotors are bad and the part house claims they can't find them for a Mustang or Cougar, tell them look them up for a 70/71 Torino as they used the same rotors.(DOOZ-1102-B) is the Ford part number if they want to cross part numbers. Good luck on your project! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If they aren't too rusty grab the brake lines too, they are a little different in the engine bay due rot the combo/ prop valve.

Haha and I just put in all new lines on so the drum system that's on there would pass safety

If you grab the cougar spindles, it might be worth it to do a good check on where the tie-rods connect for steering. I am not sure but I think the spindles might have different steering attach which could change your steering setup noticeably. Anyway, might be worthwhile to check. It's a big job to swap spindles...

Ok so I purchased the whole car. Now the cougar also has ac. Do u think it would b worth the effort to remove the ac and swap it with my car?

Ok so I purchased the whole car. Now the cougar also has ac. Do u think it would b worth the effort to remove the ac and swap it with my car?
How's that saying go? Don't let them see you sweat. ;) Your non-ac firewall doesn't have the cutout for the evaporator lines but with the Cougar as a template, if you ever have the engine out you can cut out the opening. Of course there will be some behind the dash work too. Not a small job.

Back