1971 Driver door adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nordsab

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang
Hi There, can someone tell me how to adjust the lower half of the door. It seems the previous owner toke the door off but didn't align it correctly and now the lower front half of the door sticks out.

I am new too mustangs so i got no clue where to start, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

images upload

Hi There, can someone tell me how to adjust the lower half of the door. It seems the previous owner toke the door off but didn't align it correctly and now the lower front half of the door sticks out.

I am new too mustangs so i got no clue where to start, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
It can also be just the lower part of the fender needs to move out. There are two bolts in the fender from the bottom that you can loosen and move it around. If the top needs to mover there is one bolt from the inside end of the fender that you get to by opening the door and of course the ones under the hood to move the top of the fender. If hood to fender gap is good then you might have to move door.

If the hinge is truly off you loosen the bolts in the door side of the hinge to move inboard and outboard, up and down. Loosen the bolts on the A post to move fore and aft and will also go up and down. You need to have jack under the door to support and do not loosen the bolts too much just enough so you can bump the door and move.

They do bend the doors at the factory to do some alignment that is an art. Added a picture of a door hinge with fender removed so you can see what is in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Door and panel alignment is tricky. It takes alot of trial and error. It might be better to have a body shop look at it. At least you would know exactly whats wrong and if you can do it or how much it will cost so you can decide if its worth doing it yourself.

Agreed, it is tricky... I would recommend using the rocker as a reference along with the quarter panel. Once it aligns with both come back and adjust the fender. It is easiest to adjust the door with the fender removed and with the door weatherstrip removed. Some say to also to make the adjustments with the door striker removed.

Back