1971 Mach 1 Purchase Decision

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Father /Son resto-mod project
1 year in:
351 Cleveland- modified
Maier suspension
Tremec 5 speed

As usual, the Forum members demonstrate the value of this community! All your inputs are appreciated. I've decided not to purchase this one- and will continue to look for the next "project".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, - I was thinking the same ballpark.

Don-

It is an interesting color combo. Didn't think I was into it until I saw it in person, but I can see it working with the pewter.

I would have a hard time giving him 3K for it. It's a mess. Even though it is an M code you will put way more into that car than you could sell it for and that's not including all of your own time.

Can you do the sheet metal repair?

I paid $1500 for a Q code that has about the same amount of work. But it is not about the money as you will never get the cost of your restoration back (unless you have an R code or something). So if you are OK paying the price and have the cash, buy it. We can all give you our opinion, but then we all like to spend other people's money (sort of like politicians).

I paid $1600 for mine, and the only real difference being that mine is an H-Code, and my engine was seized. OK - mine was worse... I'd reluctantly start with $3500 (only if the engine really runs), but not a dime over $5K. You're buying a project that someone's decided is too much to handle for themselves - you're doing them a favor, basically.

If the floor pans are that bad, the firewall and/or cowl is probably going to need repair as well.

Lower quarter panel rust, usually means outer wheelhouses, trunk drop-offs, and there will probably be some soft spots on the rockers. Tail light panel rust means the rear cross member and part of the trunk pan will need attention as well.

"Disassembled + all parts appear to be there" = you have no idea if they're all there or not. Be careful - there are lots of things that can be missing and hard to replace. Of course, if they're toast anyway, it really doesn't matter.

Click on the Facebook photo album link in my signature below, and look at what you're up against (well, maybe not as bad as mine). I'm over $40,000 in replacement parts & body/paint alone - and did all my own labor (almost 2000 hours, which multiply by a conservative $50/hour and that's $120K labor).

It's going to be a LOT of work, requiring a LOT of fabrication/repair skills that you either need to have or will have to learn unless you want to go broke paying someone else to do it all.

Just my $.02 - having been through it all. Hope this helps!

Aside from all that: totally restorable - but with a black interior. ;) :D

If you can do the rust repairs yourself, then I'd start at $4k. The trunk floor and taillight panel are going to need to be replaced, not patched. I've done it on my 71 Mach and it is a bunch of work, lots of drilling and grinding before you even get to weld. Bodywork and paint aren't free either, but running it around in primer while you save has always been an option... :)

It's a nicely optioned car with a somewhat odd color combo. I've seen it before and it looks good. IMO, the interior is the easiest part of a restoration, so I never worry much about it, just that all the parts are there.

All great points! I really appreciate the responses as they have validated my initial assumptions that 1) the price is rather high for a starting point and 2) for the investment of time and $$, this may not be the next project for me. It's hard to walk away from the M!

While we love our '73 pony, I don't think we'll add another 71-71'Stang to the family - I think we're gonna go look for a '78-79 Bronco to play with!

Butch

Back