1971 Mach l

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The clock/instrumentation looks like mine was originally. Guage package in the center stack, Speedo to the right, clock to the left.

Be careful removing that shifter boot!!! I will gladly take that in any condition if you do not want it. I need one for my car, but am looking for damaged ones too so I can create a CAD model and mold to produce new ones.

kcmash
KC,

I put in a box so I still have it. It is torn a little bit but still intact. I was going to replace it with a new one. Is there something unique about these? I'm not against sending it to you but I want to have the right information before doing so. The shifter itself is rusty. Is this unique as well or do they still make the same style?

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Dave, the original 4 speed shifter boot for he flat handled Hurst shifter is unique to the 71 Model year. The 71 cars had a rounded forward edge to the boot and a rectangular hole for the handle to come through. The 72/73 boots were similar but had a round hole for a round shifter handle. The 70 mustang had the same square hole for the shifter, but the boot did not have the rounded forward edge.

So that defines the "Unique" aspect of the boot. For some reason that is one part that is obsolete everywhere and has not made anyone's reproduction list.

Me, I am an engineer who is looking for a template to build a cad model off of. I was going to use a 3d plastic printer to print a new mold for the shifter boot. Then play around with newer rubber compounds to see if I can get a correct shaped boot that will last. I converted my car to a 4 speed from an automatic car, and would like to have the correct style boot. Right now my only option is to buy a reproduction 70 boot as most people won't know the difference.

On the chrome handle, they are special too. Unique to the 70 and 71 model years, these handles are the "Holy Grail of Cool" in my opinion. Wide aggressive chrome surfaces with a unique and wild swept back shape to them, they are one of a kind. I do believe there is a nice reproduction of the handle available now. Remove your handle carefully as to not damage the retainer spring lock in the Hurst shifter box. If you can I would see about having yours either polished to see if the rust will clean up and still give a Chrome appeal, or try to have it re-plated. The cost of the reproduction will probably make that the best way to go for a great look though.

Yep, we engineers are geeks!

kcmash

Back