1971 Mustang Mach I Tribute

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The passenger-side dash-mounted seatbelt light was only on 72 Mustangs made before 1-1-72( or some similar date), all 72s manufactured after that did not have it. None of the 73s had it, nor did the 71s.
73's did have that light. Mine is still on my car.

Really? I thought they discontinued them after the seatbelt buzzer interlock law was repealed...

Maybe I am thinking about the seat sensor and buzzer

The seat sensor is only on the passenger seat and the buzzer is still there. I must admit it's quite annoying at times when I just want to back out of the garage. Yeah, I remember that interlock and I believe that it was only that that got removed.

On a side note for 72 I believe that the second half of the production run had the seatbelt light when the Gov mandated it to be installed.

I have a 72 built on 2/2/72 w/no seatbelt light.
Jpaz,

This is interesting, your cars appears to be in violation of:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has a legislative mandate under Title 49 of the United States Code, Chapter 301, Motor Vehicle Safety, to issue Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and Regulations section 208.

Passenger Cars (Effective 1-1-72), Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks and Buses - Options A and B only (Effective 1-1-72)

Passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles and trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs.) or less, and buses (driver's seat only) shall have:

A. A complete passive protection system, or

B. Lap belts, belts warning and meeting 48 km/h (30 mph) crash test requirements, or

C. Lap or lap and shoulder belts, seat belt warning; outboard seats shall have a single-point pushbutton release and emergency-locking or automatic-locking seat belt retractors.

72's had to meet reqmt "B" or "C".

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/index.html

Wonder why your car was exempted. It's probably covered somewhere in this mumble jumble. No offense to any Legal members here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been shadowing this car for a year, and have seen it in person - I call it the Auctions America Mutant. Here's my not-too-flattering account of it before this seller slapped Mach 1 decals on it:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-auctions-america-mutant-71-comes-to-ebay

2zntr9w.jpg

As crazy as it sounds, both the engine and VIN match. It's probably an old wreck that had a front clip swap sometime back in the day and sat around until someone threw paint on it.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see the ebay listing from work, but I simply hate seeing our cars misrepresented and pawned off onto some low-information buyer for ridiculous money. I wish there was a way we could somehow alert potential buyers of the things we [arguably as the internet's experts on '71-'73 Mustangs] find that are not being reported by the sellers.

I think we can all agree that fair is fair, and we all hate seeing others get ripped off while getting stuck with a turd that's not all it should be according to the fluffed-up sales ad.

I know I "kind of" fell victim to a similar deal with mine, even though it was only $1600... but anybody buying a car with a seized engine and lots of visible rust should already know they're in for a lot of restoration, expense, and time before they'll have something they can actually call a "car" again. ;)

As with all listings we see that get "sold," I hope the buyer finds their way here.

Back