1971 Mustang Ram Air Hood Option - Black Paint?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do agree with you Frank. I am not mad at him personally, because he really did try. His initial responses were a little concerning ie. I would have to pay for the correction, or he did it as per the pictures I gave him... At this stage, I just want it done right and time to get the car home.

Yes Ken, I'd be ticked too. Corners too sharp was the first thing I noticed. For what It's worth, I bought a "Ford Licensed" template form Graphics Express in Fl. There are clear instructions as to positioning. However, in my case, my painter decided to use the measurements and lay it out with plastic tape because he didn't like the joints in the template pieces. Unfortunately he screwed up too, misunderstanding the measurement from the front edge. Result was my blackout is 1" too far back and too late to redo. Light Pewter metallic would have been b***h to match exactly to the body. I see many hoods like mine and actually, no-one notices. The wrong shape and layout stand out a mile. At least the shape looks right to my eye. As for paint, I used SEM Hot-Rod Black for all my black-outs, but I should have use the matte clear as well over it for extra toughness.

For what It's worth' date=' I bought a "Ford Licensed" template form Graphics Express in Fl. There are clear instructions as to positioning. However, in my case, my painter decided to use the measurements and lay it out with plastic tape because he didn't like the joints in the template pieces. Unfortunately he screwed up too, misunderstanding the measurement from the front edge. Result was my blackout is 1" too far back and too late to redo. [/quote']
Same exact thing happened with mine. That, and my painter's guy put it on 1/2" to 3/4" too far to the passenger side... rather than throw it away, I wound up restriping the driver side myself to make it match (since his guy couldn't do striping to save his life). But yeah, it was already put on the hood too far back.

attachment.php

Here's my hood after coming back from the soda blaster, if this helps someone out. The pewter gave up the ghost an allowed surface rust to settle in, but the TuTone center held tough despite all the sunburn and left this pattern on the bare metal.

attachment.php

Honestly, with the exception of the stencil being placed too far back, I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out... and yes, I wanted the glossy finish, since the West Texas sun would have the flat/matte finish fried in a few years (base coat/clear coat just doesn't seem as tough as the original good ol' enamel they used back in the day).

I hafta admit, PB, that's one of the closest, most accurate TuTone hood treatments I've seen in a long time. But, you're right about the leading edge radii being too tight. :shootself:

Yours looks great too, Stanglover! ::thumb::

I was wondering if the templates they sell were correct or not. Also the rear bottom edge of the hood gets same flat black if a light color to hide it when sitting in the seat. Even dark colors might get it the brown Mach 1 has some. Did not have to have the black out on hood exterior to get the black on back edge. I put a picture of the flat hood off my original paint 73 vert and couple pictures of my orig. 73 Mach 1. I have a couple original hoods in storage also but they look just like the 73. The black on the back edge is one thing most restorers miss totally especially on the flat hoods.

David

CAM_0103.JPG

100_2208.JPG

IMG.jpg

Thanks Mister4X4 for the compliment. The picture from Mrmach1 looks to be an advertising photo. The shape of the black-out looks to be slightly narrower than what my 'template' gave me which, if I remember without going back to check, the 429 site gives a measurement of 6" from the edge of the hood to the outside edge of the stripe, which matches my template instructions. For me, the black-outs that bug me are the ones where the corners are way too squared off or come right over the edge lip. Just my opinion. Lots of conjecture as to what it really should be like and I'm not sure even the 'experts' agree.

Geoff.

I was wondering if the templates they sell were correct or not. Also the rear bottom edge of the hood gets same flat black if a light color to hide it when sitting in the seat. Even dark colors might get it the brown Mach 1 has some. Did not have to have the black out on hood exterior to get the black on back edge. I put a picture of the flat hood off my original paint 73 vert and couple pictures of my orig. 73 Mach 1. I have a couple original hoods in storage also but they look just like the 73. The black on the back edge is one thing most restorers miss totally especially on the flat hoods.

David
That looks pretty much like the template shape...... in the right place!! Yes, my painter did spray black along the under lip and is quite correct, so at least he got that part right.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, he did a good job on the underside, no issues there. Here is a shot of my factory original underside black that he did on the new paint scheme.

I went in and met with him today to discuss and finalize the re-do. He is a good guy, wants to get it right. He worked from pictures I gave him including those with measurements off my original hood. We measured those today and he is bang on in almost all locations. the biggest issue will be to thin the black in front of the hood scoops and contour them a little more with the hood scoop lines and then give a better and more prominent turn on the bottoms corners. I have faith he will get it right this time. We also finalized the pinch weld black spray, the under body and wheel well overspray of body colour, etc. I'll post the revised hood next week for your viewing pleasure (I hope!).

Here are some of the dimensions off my original blackout paint from the factory...

Hood Backside Showing Blackout Area.jpg

Hood with Paint-Stripe Dimensions2.jpg

Last edited:

David
AHA!! That explains THAT!! :whistling:

I noticed the same thing on my hood when I got the car, but completely forgot about it when the painter had it. No biggie for me though, since mine's a restomod (I'm not going to worry about it... this time :p ).

Good stuff!! ::thumb::

It's so weird - most people only relate to the black paint on the hood, not so much the shape. That's why you see so many misshapen TuTone Ram Air treatments - someone is going in for a paint job, they see a Mach 1 picture somewhere, tell the painter about it, and then "as long as it's 'close,'" they're happy. The painters usually don't care, either - which is obvious for the most part. The guy who put my stencil on too far to the passenger side kept saying, "looks fine to me." "Yeah, sure buddy... but it's not your car now, is it?"

I'm just amazed at how much of an eye I've developed for these things. When I initially started seeing different Mustangs before I bought mine, I was mostly oblivious to the details that bug the livin' crap out of me these days. The Ram Air TuTone [shape] is one of the biggest pet peeves I have, followed by placement of the exterior decals, placement of the spoilers, and finally abuse of the available options (for instance, Mach 1 stickers don't belong on '02-code' sportroofs, coupes, and 'verts, hockey stripes don't belong on cars with bright rocker trim, Ram Air TuTone on NASA hoods without hood locks, etc.).

I understand why people are relatively blind to the details, though: there's a lot to take in. But the longer I go, the more I notice and get aggravated in seeing things done wrong. I'm trying to be less critical about it, though... because at the end of the day, it's not my car. ;) :D

Besides, I've got plenty of those similar 'violations' on my car [since it's a restomod] in the way of: chrome front bumper on a Mach 1, carbon fiber vinyl instead of woodgrain on deluxe interior pieces, TMI sport seats rather than the stock "flatbreads," back-up camera, etc. Kinda tough to be critical about other peoples' cars when mine's loaded up with all sorts of MCA write-ups as well, eh?

I do agree with you Frank. I am not mad at him personally, because he really did try. His initial responses were a little concerning ie. I would have to pay for the correction, or he did it as per the pictures I gave him... At this stage, xI just want it done right and time to get the car home.
On the business end of this story I feel you have a right to be ticked off and your body guy should do what ever it takes take to make you happy even if he has to strip it and repaint the entire piece.

I do agree with you Frank. I am not mad at him personally, because he really did try. His initial responses were a little concerning ie. I would have to pay for the correction, or he did it as per the pictures I gave him... At this stage, xI just want it done right and time to get the car home.
On the business end of this story I feel you have a right to be ticked off and your body guy should do what ever it takes take to make you happy even if he has to strip it and repaint the entire piece.
Agree 100%. Given the amount of money and time you are putting into this restoration especially with the paint and body he should be correcting this on his dime.

Another area where there is going to be versions of correct and "close enough". I know from personal experience and helping with friends ram air cars, there are more incorrect templates than correct being sold. This site had an original owner 71 "J" code Ram Air Mach 1 whose hood stipe and blackout dimensions were measured by Phoenix Decals and now offer what is probably one of the few correct templates out there. You could also contact Don at Ohio Mustang Supply (OMS) as I believe he has the correct dimensions.

The photo mrmach1 posted is an official Ford picture as used the 1972 Mustang sales brochure.

Pastel Blue, granted your hood treatment is better than most I've seen, for the money you've invested, it should be exactly as you specify. Glad your painter is willing to repair it and good luck with the "Fix". ::thumb::

Agree 100%. Given the amount of money and time you are putting into this restoration especially with the paint and body he should be correcting this on his dime.
We will find out in the upcoming mid week... Stay tuned.

You might find this picture interesting. This is a 73 with 28K a friend just pulled out of storage. I'm going to post a few pics in a separate post, but I thought of your hood issue when I looked at the car yesterday. This car is still on the original tires.

DSC00908-1.jpg

Yes! That is what it should look like... It's really too bad, because mine is close until you get to the front of the hood. We'll get there... Thanks

You might find this picture interesting. This is a 73 with 28K a friend just pulled out of storage. I'm going to post a few pics in a separate post, but I thought of your hood issue when I looked at the car yesterday. This car is still on the original tires.
Wow my Mach 1 with 12,000 miles had I think three sets of tires maybe more. Back then I would go through a set in 3,000 to 5,000 miles. These mountain roads and lots of power sliding and burn outs did not make them last too long. I do have a 1950 Ford with original tires with 16,000 miles never raced it, lol.

Be interested in your pictures I have a 73 vert also that I would like to see this car for details.

David

Back