1971 Mustang to Shelby conversion?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang Ricky

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
Has anyone converted their 1971-73 taillights to the Shelby sequential wiring harness? I purchased the harness but there was no wiring diagram included! Any help would be greatly appreciated

I think someone here did it. The only problem I see is that our taillights have no red bulb in the middle lens, so there won't be a flowing effect, as it's only the two outer lights coming on.

I dunno if that looks halfway as cool as with the older ones.

I think someone here did it. The only problem I see is that our taillights have no red bulb in the middle lens, so there won't be a flowing effect, as it's only the two outer lights coming on.

I dunno if that looks halfway as cool as with the older ones.
My car has the 68 Shelby taillights not the 71's. I figured it out.

Cool!

I wanted to do that conversion wheh the car was restored but I did not dare because I´d have had to order the parts and I wouldn´t have known if it would fit.

If it didn´t fit, the shipping cost is so high that it is not worth sending the parts back to the US.

So I decided not to do it but I think I´ll have to reconsider. It´s been bugging me ever since........ :)

My car befor.

104lxg9.jpg

And after !

016.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool!

I wanted to do that conversion wheh the car was restored but I did not dare because I´d have had to order the parts and I wouldn´t have known if it would fit.

If it didn´t fit, the shipping cost is so high that it is not worth sending the parts back to the US.

So I decided not to do it but I think I´ll have to reconsider. It´s been bugging me ever since........ :)
It is something you might want to consider using a good fabricator for as there is a fair bit of work to fit it properly! Use steel not fiberglass there are plenty of pictures in my gallery of the process. Cost for materials there is kit available from Mustangs Unlimited in Lawrenceville Georgia for around $740 includes the steel panel, wiring harness taillight buckets,lens. grilles. You will need set of external back up lights I used the 68 mustang ones. Your taillight panel will need to be modified to accommodate them. It will totally change the look of your car.

It will totally change the look of your car.

That's why it's been on my mind for so long. I just love the look of it.

Thanks for pointing out the kit. My Mustangs Unlimited catalog is a bit older and it's not yet listed in there.

I got a good body shop here that woul be able to pull it off nicely, so that is not the point.

These days it will be a financial issue.... :s

It will totally change the look of your car.

That's why it's been on my mind for so long. I just love the look of it.

Thanks for pointing out the kit. My Mustangs Unlimited catalog is a bit older and it's not yet listed in there.

I got a good body shop here that woul be able to pull it off nicely, so that is not the point.

These days it will be a financial issue.... :s
The kit plus the wiring harness/flasher would be about $1000. Labor not sure what the shop rate is where you are.

The kit plus the wiring harness/flasher would be about $1000. Labor not sure what the shop rate is where you are.
Well, the downside of the Mustang hobby in Europe is that you can multiply those 1000$ by 1.6, which makes approx. 1600 bucks with shipping and import taxes. :mad:

Shop rate depends on how much work they got and how soon I need the car.

Well, the downside of the Mustang hobby in Europe is that you can multiply those 1000$ by 1.6, which makes approx. 1600 bucks with shipping and import taxes. :mad:

Shop rate depends on how much work they got and how soon I need the car.
Shipping must be horrible!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back