1972 Convertible what are they worth???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habenarohank

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang convertible (ram air hood and air conditioning) For sale or trade...
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-convertible-for-sale

above is the link to the for sale section. NADA seems to be way high with the options. If I put the options in it says its worth $16,000 as a twenty footer. I am trying to get a good idea of its value. Factory ram air hood and air conditioning seems to be rare in a convertible with a v8.

Thanks

Like the for sale thread says, it's hard to tell without more pics and a better description. What is especially important is rust/body damage as these are harder/expensive to fix.

While the factory ram hood may be rare it doesn't make it necessarily more valuable than a convertible that had this put on afterwards. Special options tend to be more important on cars that are already considered rare, like if you had a special factory installed option on a 70 BOSS 302 or something then it might add to the value significantly.

Looking at the one picutre and with you brief decription I would say it is worth somewhere between $5000 and perhaps $10000. THere is one on craistlist posted here for $5000. It looked clean, had low miles but also had a 6 cyl. For me, a 6cyl wouldn't have been a deal breaker because I wouldn't have any problems swapping in a v8 drive train (and front suspension).

also, from what I can see in the pic. It has a yellow interior (the rear qtr panels look yellow). That's probably not a big selling point. The rear seats look weird to me too in the picture. The paint is not original (the hood is not painted original and the parking side like frames are not supposed to be black). This isn't a positive or negative unless the paint job is bad and/or is covering up damage.

Also, the paint on the hood tends to make me wonder if you really have a factory optioned ram air.

I am not trying to be a jerk. Just giving my honest thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Will here... i´ve been looking at that 5K vert in craistlist and also, have seen the pic of this vert you´re asking for...

I know Ram Air option is a wanted spec in our era cars and if it is factory original, better then... I do think if it is original, it would add some bucks to the expecting price of the car... The air conditioning i dont really know how can affect the price of a car.. I guess it depends on the buyer...

I´m from overseas so i dont really know how the american market works... i´m just telling you an opinion of someone that dont really live there and see the rest of the market... for me, my only sourse is Internet... What i can guess is that in a classic car market, the price is not so stablished as it can be on other segments so... You can ask big and then, consider offers for example...

the I6 vert that´s on sale for 5K in my opinion is really cheap.... It is in what it looks like to be a factory original condition and from there, you can expect some plus points... Even for a I6 there´s a market gap... Lots of people want to buy a drivable car with good gas millage and not so expensive mantainance... If I were the I6 vert guy, i´ll ask a little more close to 10K and from there, see what happens...

I must compare your vert to that vert because those are the only ones i can have access to give an opinion but considering everything Will noticed about the non original interior (neither back seat not front seems original), the front damage, not so good paint job (they even paint the door handles and stuff), etc i´ll think the

car has 2 start points to sell...

For me, the car value is arround 8K so... if you need to sell, ask 7 or 8 and if you are willing to wait the right buyer, ask 12K, listen to a possible interesting offer and meanwhile, enjoy the car and improve it if you can...

Hope it helps!!

I have it listed for $12,500 OBO and am willing to trade for a chrysler 300, durango, or really nice caliber or pacifica. Would prefer something woth the new hemi. Someone I figure will trade me straight accross eventually. Thanks, Henry

I have it listed for $12,500 OBO and am willing to trade for a chrysler 300, durango, or really nice caliber or pacifica. Would prefer something woth the new hemi. Someone I figure will trade me straight accross eventually. Thanks, Henry
Don't hold your breath on getting $12,500. Serious buyers would pay more for a clean and correct car w/o missing and good chrome. Your car has some rare options but the prices on 71-73 convertibles is from around $10K for a decent driver to much higher ($30K or more) for concours restored 351CJ vert with all the goodies in a metallic color (red, blue) or a grabber color. Even my one of fifty 72 sprint that is 95% original and is very good shape would be a tough sell at more than $18K in this economy. It just depends on how badly someone wants your car and why else they can buy for the same amount.

Zooming in on the picture in your other thread, it appears the door handles are painted body color, the trim is missing off the front of the hood, front bumper is in poor condition too. As much as I would like to say yours is worth what your asking I don't see it. Post up some more detailed pics if you can. but I'm guessing in the $5-6,000 range. I would love to say higher, because it would make the value of my 73 convertible higher too. Good luck with the sale!

Hank, $12.5 isn't going to happen on that car. Not trying to bust your chops but I wouldn't give over $4k for that car based on the one pic and your description. I'm all for getting as much as you can but just seems like a lot of things need attention on the car.

Best of luck with the sale I hope you get more than 4k but I'd be surprised if it got over 5.

Fwtw, my brother in law paid $1500 for a 73 in similar condition.

Back