1972 mechanical rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool idea with the paint booth instead of painting in the garage! Great progess so far, looking good.. What color is the car going to be? :)
Going to stick with red. I think pinup red or a candy apple red from Eastwood basecoat/clear coat.

I have not updated this in a long time as not much was done this winter. My son and I got the 351W running and all pulleys, belts, and accessories hooked up (except the A/C, it will be left off). We primered the car in Eastwood 2K urethane, sanded, and are ready for the color and clear. Our goal is to paint this car next weekend (weather permitting). I will then get a bunch of pictures to update this thread. Just wanted to let everyone know I was still around.

I just wanted to give a final update. The car is together and running. The paint did not turn out (see thread in the body and paint section). We simply left it as is, primered out the front clip and put together. Got the car insured, licensed, and put exhaust under it from a 1970 Mach1 (yes we put a used exhaust system on it).

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

The 351W really goes like crazy. We did have one minor issue. This is a M code out of a 1969 Mach 1 (no I do not have the '69). The starter was having a hard time turning this engine over. I put in a Optima battery capable of 1000 cranking amps but this only heated up the cables. I replaced the starter with a remanufactured from Autozone. This lasted about one day and the starter went out. Replaced it again (under warranty) and this starter only lasted for about two cranks. Fed up with the made in Mexico remanufactured starters, I got a high torque mini-starter from NPD. No longer an issue. The car cranks and fires right up.

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

Always got a few things to improve:

Add a headliner, get the exhaust welded and the tail pipes put on, fix a persistent tail light that refuses to light up, upgrade rear springs and new shocks (currently the air shocks keep the stance level), and many more yet to be added. Are these cars ever really done:p

Thank everyone for input and advice.:thankyouyellow:

This car is now a driver and my son is just going to enjoy it. May not be exactly a show car, but a good cruiser and still turns heads. In fact, my son said that he stopped to get gas the other night and at least three people asked what kind of car it was. Seems they never seen a 1972 Mustang coupe.

Latest posts

Back