1973 Convertible Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Between Fort Mohave, AZ & So Cal (Upland)
My Car
73 Grande will be used to build 73 Vert.
Well, I guess I did it. I got a second 73 Project car. Now, while my 73 Coupe (Grande) looked like a basket case (BC) project when I got it, I might have just found one that is one basket short of a BC. Ok, the Pros and Cons:

PROs
Looks like it was a well optioned car; I will be ordering the Marti report on it.
I cannot locate any rust in the floors, trunk, cowl, firewall, etc. Yes, a very small rust spot under the battery tray. No kidding, can’t find any, and I looked critically and used a magnet.
I can’t locate any external body damage. I mean, I really looked to get it cheaper, but could find any. A few parking lot dings and dents, but nothing else.
It’s a convertible; my coupe wasn’t my first choice.
It has a new fuel tank in the box.
It looks like all of the body trim is there (I brought the Assembly manual page with the conv trim pic with me to verify)
The front bumper looks like it’s in incredible good condition.
It was $2100 and is registered as Non-Op in Ca.

CONS
The previous to this soon to be PO dismantled the car, and it is in literally 5 crate containers, excluding the body panels and unibody
I’m 100 % sure there are missing parts
It has no engine or trans (was H code with FMX). But, it does have a rusty correct block; no internals.
It has the engine mount brackets but only one of the capture motor mounts.
The interior consist of the front seats, the center console, and the rear seat spring bases only. It does have the dash complete. No door panels, and non metal trim looks missing.
Beside the headlight/buckets, bumper, backing, and front valance, all the rest of the front grill parts are missing or I haven’t exactly located them in the containers.
Beyond the frame, there is no convertible top.

I’m sure there are more Cons, but that’s enough. What I like about this, if there ever was a blank slate, and a great starting point at that, this is it. Sure, I would have been happier to find a seemly pristine body with a complete car, but it’s that Yikes factor that kept this car unsold and affordable and something that couldn’t be passed off as a “almost ready to drive Barrett-Jackson steal.”

I’m going to get it on Tuesday, take it to my Vaca home in Az, and go from there. I’ve got to first do a complete inventory on what I have, and especially, what’s missing. I’m glad I have the Ford Assembly book to help there. Then, after that, I’ve got to make a big decision: do I use my 73 Coupe and just move all of the new parts from it to the convertible? I’m not looking to eventually have two cars. I’m a one car guy. So, I’ll be looking for the logical and illogical reasons to do either that or finish the coupe and then start on the convertible. I’m not ready to have that discussion yet; I don’t know what I don’t know yet. So, hope you follow along and as usual, provide the gentle prodding like you did on my 73 Coupe project so far.

IMG_3079.jpegIMG_3090.jpeg IMG_3089.jpeg IMG_3088.jpegIMG_3087.jpeg

I have an interior cost list from Canada prices 2023, includes many of the things listed except dash parts.if your interested in a ball park what its worth just message me back. Do your self a favour and do all your under coating back seat area before you get into the roof.

Looks like a great project. These dry Southwestern cars are amazing to us up here in the Rust Belt. My 71 Squire spent much of it's life in the desert areas of Oregon. No rust at all except for one tiny hole in the bottom of the spare tire well.

Looks like a nice solid, straight shell to start with. I am a big fan of the "blank slate" cars. All of my cars came from the desert south west area and I performed complete frame off restorations on them. I like knowing that it is all built on a solid foundation. Good luck with your project, I am looking forward to your progress updates.

Well, over the last two days, I pickup the new project in Santa Ana, Ca, drove it across the Ca desert to Fort Mohave, Az, and parked it in its new home for now.

IMG_3092.jpegIMG_3095.jpegIMG_3096.jpeg

I was able to spend some time trying to figure out what I had, before I had the make the drive home to So Cal today. Here are a few photoes after I removed all of the parts occupying the floors:

IMG_3099.jpeg IMG_3097.jpeg HIMG_3098.jpeg IMG_3101.jpeg
IMG_3102.jpeg IMG_3103.jpeg IMG_3104.jpeg IMG_3107.jpeg IMG_3113.jpeg IMG_3114.jpeg

Lots of pictures, not a lot of context. I just can’t get over the quality of the original metal, it’s great. And, as you can see, I’ve got lots of parts, but I’m letting then dry out in the Az summer garage so I’ll be able to determine what they are, their condition, etc.

But you can see, I’ve got no conv pump or hoses, so that will certainly be on my list. What I hope to do is create and then post in a Wanted Ad stuff I need now, and stuff I might need next year. I regularly trip tomato to see my parents, so I’m hoping folks there will be able to help me fill my part needs.

Also, while I’ve pursued the Ford Assembly manual, I didn’t see much on the convertible top system, with the exception of the wiring. I’m sure I’ll have questions unique to the vert aspects of the car, so hoping you guys are out there.

I’ll be back at it in the later part of Sept. Thanks for reading, Steve.

Here’s my Marti Report:

IMG_1422.jpeg
After cleaning and inventorying the parts I have, next month, I’ll start on cleaning the interior metal surfaces, as well as the undercarriage, so that I can partially restore and remove 50 years of grime.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to swap everything I can from my 73 Coupe into this newer and more desirable body style. I just want to get the new project ready for it so it’s not a year or so without something to drive around.

I’ve finished going through the loose parts that came with my basket case car, and I have parts I cannot figure out. If you know, appreciate the help. I believe the first part is a timing pointer, but I have no engine that goes with it:

IMG_3125.jpeg

This next part looks structural, thicker than just a 21ish gauge metal part. Here are two views of it:

IMG_3126.jpeg IMG_3127.jpeg

This final part is two pieces that look like they would go somewhere on the front fenders. The hole pattern fits the middle fender attachment bolts, but I’ve got no idea if that’s even close:

IMG_3128.jpeg

One thing I have discovered is there are lots of missing parts. But, my plan is to use the parts on my current project coupe to resolve that. That won’t help where the convertible parts are needed, but so far there, I know I need everything from the pump to the cylinders. I have to decide if I’ll start from scratch on the interior, or use the coupe parts, but I’m leaning all new, since it’s missing most of that too (not the seats).

Thank you again, Steve.

I’ve been trying to figure out what door panels my car originally came with. I’ve got the Marti report, but it isn’t clear to me. I’ve also spent quite a bit of time searching the web for Conv interior pics, since I only have the seats and no other interior parts. Maybe it’s my poor search skills, but I cannot find an Conv interior with electric windows that doesn’t have the deluxe door panels. I kinda like the standard door panels, but can’t seem to find any evidence they exist on 73 Conv with electric window.

IMG_1422.jpeg

Back