1973 Convertible restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome form coastal Alabama! I just bought a 73 vert a couple ofweeks ago and yous looks so much better...i'm jealous. I second the pst that said throw nothing away. No truer words because mst f the time original parts are better quality than the reproduced parts. It's better to restore an original item IMHO. Good luck with it. Post some after the bath photos so we can see what's really there.

Be sure to add a pin to our member map which is under the Fun Stuff tab at the top of the page.

Great car and color. I'm 2year's into my vert restoration. The guys on this site have been great and I'd love to pay it forward. PM me with any questions and i'll help if I can. I think your first decision it what level of restoration you want to do and work from there. I did a ground up so I've had to go through everything.

Good luck!

Jim
SDStang are you still around? It's taking me a long time, but I am actually getting the car back together. I would love to pick your brain about a few things if that's ok.

Attachments

• 22 restore2.jpg
    22 restore2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 22 Restore3.jpg
    22 Restore3.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 20
SDStang is not active on the forum. He still as his car and enjoys it. Ask away I'm sure your questions will be answered.
Great color looks great!
OK, thanks. This blog group appears to be very helpful. I'll have a million questions, but I'll start with these two. Are these rear quarter interior parts better off painted, or does someone make a quality re-pop? And second, can this console be retored, and crack fixed? Thanks, all.

Attachments

• Rear Int Quarters.jpg
    Rear Int Quarters.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Console 1.jpg
    Console 1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 11
  • console 2.jpg
    console 2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 11
Consoles are much more plentiful than the rear panels.

You're definitely better off prepping and painting the rear panels. Yours look better than many since they don't have speaker holes chopped in them.

You can repair the console with some ABS adhesive and some ABS flat stock (you can buy it in sheets at hobby stores). Fashion a piece to insert in the console from below and use the adhesive to bond it in place. If it is cracked along the length of the hinge you'll probably have to make the repair piece the full length of the hinge and bend it so it covers the side of the console and underneath the hinge section. Bond the repair piece in place with ABS adhesive.

As an aside... there is a fellow on another site that dissolves ABS in acetone to create a "slurry" h uses to repair plastic components. It's thin enough to be poured but thick enough to not seep through small gaps.

Consoles are much more plentiful than the rear panels.

You're definitely better off prepping and painting the rear panels. Yours look better than many since they don't have speaker holes chopped in them.

You can repair the console with some ABS adhesive and some ABS flat stock (you can buy it in sheets at hobby stores). Fashion a piece to insert in the console from below and use the adhesive to bond it in place. If it is cracked along the length of the hinge you'll probably have to make the repair piece the full length of the hinge and bend it so it covers the side of the console and underneath the hinge section. Bond the repair piece in place with ABS adhesive.
Thanks. I'm not sure I have the skills to do that. Where could I find a console for sale?

Back