1973 convertible w/ 2,488 miles, 85K

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very nice original! I'll be surprised if it gets anywhere near the asking price, though. I do recall Ford dealers hanging on to 73 convertibles thinking we'd never again see manufacturers producing convertibles. Cadillac El Dorado convertibles in 1976 were also tucked away for preservation.

Very nice! A couple of nit picks. Listing incorrectly states black interior. I thought the convertibles did not come with trunk mat because they promoted trunk rust in converts. I'm surprised with all those great options it does not have full console and only AM radio. Nice preservation.

I was thinking the same thing, why replace the original parts? Hopefully they retained everything that was removed.

It also looks like someone was let loose under the car with a rattle can of low gloss black.

A very nice original! I'll be surprised if it gets anywhere near the asking price, though. I do recall Ford dealers hanging on to 73 convertibles thinking we'd never again see manufacturers producing convertibles. Cadillac El Dorado convertibles in 1976 were also tucked away for preservation.
A lot of dealers did that, I worked at a Ford dealership in like 1981 when I was a kid, and the owner had a little collection of his own. There was a small shop off of the main service department that was kept locked and he had a 71 LTD convertible, a 73 Mustang convertible, a 50's era (no idea actual year) Crown Victoria, a '79 Indy Pace Car Mustang, an '82 Mustang GT, and a 69 Mach 1 that I remember. all of the cars he took new were red cars, seemed he had a preferred color. There were others but those are the ones I remember. The Crown Vic was a custom/restoration, like they would have been done when he was a kid in the early 60s, which I thought was pretty cool. The 70s and newer ones I was told were all brand new taken from inventory and locked away.
As far as the Eldorado's, I really liked those Bicentennial editions when I was a kid. A lot of dealers locked them away or wanted thousands over sticker price for them. My dad ran a Cadillac dealership all through the 70s and 80s and the owner locked up the first Bicentennial they received for himself. My dad had a friend who really wanted one and my dad was able to do some horse trading with a buddy of his at another Cadillac dealership for their Bicentennial edition and sold that car to his friend. I was told dealerships got one and smaller dealership did not even get one, because of the limited number made. Growing up, my dad's friend would tell me how my dad was a miracle worker, that he was able to get him his dream car, when there were none to be had. The last 200 Eldorado convertibles made were designated Bicentennial editions and came with a commemorative plaque on the dash. They were only offered white with white tops and the only ones I have ever seen had red carpet and dash and the white leather seats had red piping sewn in. I have been told they were also offered with blue dash, carpets and piping but I don't remember ever seeing one of those. My dad's friend bought his car new from my dad and rarely drove it, just mostly stored it until he passed away. Sadly, his kids fought over it and they ended up selling it soon after he died, it only had like 14,000 miles on it.

Last edited:
The gent I bought my 73 vert from owned a Mercury dealership. Truthfully, I had gone to look at a 72 Cougar vert with only 20K miles, which was sold. Anyway, in addition to the vert I bought, he had 3 Panteras, 2 of which were never titled ( had MSO) And a whole collection of vehicles he had tucked away. Including at least 2 Lincoln verts with suicide doors- mid 60s.

Back