1973 Mach 1 Interior Seat Material Oddity?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody know how to decode the metal seat tags? I'm looking at a 72 Sprint and was able to read the metal tag under the rear seat bottom.

The P/N is D1ZB-6566700.AB I can figure out that P/N but ther are other numbers and would like to decode them.

Stamped below the P/N is a large "V" with a line on top of it plus "MGR" stamped next to it.

The third stamped line reads: 254 000 2AA

Below that is the date 03/25/72.

Any help with those other codes would be greatly appreciated.

The following are pictures from my 73 Q code, deluxe interior car. Interior is code GA. The Marti report says Black Sebring Knit/Levant/Corinthian Vinyl Bucket Seats. The car was built on 06/11/73. Maybe they did run out of the knit material.

25fi0d3.jpg

2ci8vie.jpg

The following are pictures from my 73 Q code, deluxe interior car. Interior is code GA. The Marti report says Black Sebring Knit/Levant/Corinthian Vinyl Bucket Seats. The car was built on 06/11/73. Maybe they did run out of the knit material.

25fi0d3.jpg

2ci8vie.jpg
Good info Don. Yours is the earliest car built so far with the all vinyl Mach 1 sports interior. Are these the original seats for the car?

25fi0d3.jpg

2ci8vie.jpg
If you get the time..Take a picture of your seat back..Or just check where the release lever is...See if its missing the little tiny bit of plastic on the bottom....Your car is only 5 days from mine on the production line....Btw...when was your car sced for build? Mine was 13 days behind...im wondering if it was so behind because they started having parts issues.

And did they run out of all seat back colors at the same time?....Same with the weave...Did all colors run out at once? or did some still get the weave at the same time some seats where getting covered in vinyl? ..hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked my seat backs and they are open at the bottom. (Pinto!!!!!!!) To the best of my knowledge, the seats are original. 29k miles on the car. Scheduled for build on 06/01/1973 and actually built on 06/11/1973.

Just checked my seat backs and they are open at the bottom. (Pinto!!!!!!!) To the best of my knowledge, the seats are original. 29k miles on the car. Scheduled for build on 06/01/1973 and actually built on 06/11/1973.
Well that proves the funky vinyl seats where being used early june too..Not just late......We getting closer to pinning down the funky seat dates....any cars before June with these funky seat backs on the car? Or did mostly only vinyl ones get the pinto seat backs?.

I have no exact date without the Marty report but mine in a "Q" code Mach 1 with the Mach interior interior code of GA. I have been wondering why my seats weren't knit when I stumbled onto this thread.

My doorplate reads June 1973. I believe they are original. This car's engine blew up in about 1982 then sat for 30 years. Now I need to find a drive train but that is another matter.

Marti says that the change occurred but also that the interior code as changed to GAA. I have not been able to find any that had the three digit code. I have the original build sheet and the revision column is blank - just GA for the interior. Has anyone ever seen a three digit interior code for a 73?

I have no exact date without the Marty report but mine in a "Q" code Mach 1 with the Mach interior interior code of GA. I have been wondering why my seats weren't knit when I stumbled onto this thread.

My doorplate reads June 1973. I believe they are original. This car's engine blew up in about 1982 then sat for 30 years. Now I need to find a drive train but that is another matter.
Hey I have a couple of 351C 4 V motors

You should get a marti report..specialy if she is well optioned out...Be nice to see when your car was built and where it come from originaly, and how rare it is...Not everyone cares about that information..But will help pin down the dates here on the seats and what is original or not.....I'm thinking "most" of June Mach 1's till the end of production got this style of seat with pinto seat backs...Need some May birthdays to speak up and check out their seats and pannels now..lol

You should get a marti report..specialy if she is well optioned out...Be nice to see when your car was built and where it come from originaly, and how rare it is...Not everyone cares about that information..But will help pin down the dates here on the seats and what is original or not.....I'm thinking "most" of June Mach 1's till the end of production got this style of seat with pinto seat backs...Need some May birthdays to speak up and check out their seats and pannels now..lol
Yes, I'd like to get a Marty report but I haven't even investigated where to get one from.

Yes, I'd like to get a Marty report but I haven't even investigated where to get one from.
Here is the link for the Marti web site. http://www.martiauto.com/

Whoaaa!!! I just read this whole thread from start to finish... It is mind boggling how much information this site holds collectively....

This site is by far the most authorititive on all things mustang 123. Period!

Having said that, it bring a smile to my face in parts.

As a semi managment employee for 15 years for a company here in Melb who since 1936 had the lions share of supplying textiles to all australian made cars..

Being a tier 1 supplier to ford, among others, and when ford au, used to make their own seats inhouse, we would always get caught out and not have enough stock to supply... we would pay penalties of $10,000 per day for stopping each production line... yes, being in textiles felt like an inexact science at times, with so many variables, I don't know how many times we had claims against yarn suppliers, including dupont, over poorly performing yarns.

At other times the finished fabric wasn't within the tight ford specs for bow and skew, etc.

I've personally had to rush over some rolls of fabric straight off the flame laminator and into my ute for a quick delivery to ford!

Other times, we had fading issues ... It seems like quality issues never stopped...

As we have contracts in place for "x" meters of a particular weave, Ford are stuck with it whether the model sells well or not. This sometimes leaves them with a lot of excess "obsolete" stock.

As others have said, when ford does runout models, they are basically using up excess materials, using it in special combinations and colour schemes, adding a logo or 2 and calling the car a special model.... this was normal practice...

So after reading all of the above, it didn't surprise me at all to hear about all the variations...

Our company has since liquidated ... just a sign of the times with manufacturing in general in this country...

What did fascinate and surprise me is the resourcefulness of the good helpful people on this site ...amazing...

Marti says that the change occurred but also that the interior code as changed to GAA. I have not been able to find any that had the three digit code. I have the original build sheet and the revision column is blank - just GA for the interior. Has anyone ever seen a three digit interior code for a 73?
My build sheet only has a 2 digit code too.

-jbojo

I have my report. My late production was 6-14-1973 and my inter code is :

GA Black Sebring Knit/Levant/Corinthian Vinyl

Bucket Seats

As covered before, mine is also not knit but smooth gray vinyl. I'm posting my report in the Marty thread.

I have my report. My late production was 6-14-1973 and my inter code is :

GA Black Sebring Knit/Levant/Corinthian Vinyl

Bucket Seats

As covered before, mine is also not knit but smooth gray vinyl. I'm posting my report in the Marty thread.
Good info. I will add your car to the list of those with the all vinyl Mach 1 interiors. Here are the members so far that have the all vinyl Mach 1 interiors:

1) jb73mach - black interior, build date 7/5/73

2) HighOctane - ginger interior, build date 7/3/73

3) jbojo - white interior, build date 6/28/73 (original owner)

4) Steve73QMach1 - black interior, build date 7/5/73

5) Steve 73QMach1 - black interior, build date 6/29/73

6) Don61 - black interior, build date 6/11/73

7) MustangMyWay - black interior, build date 6/14/73

It's interesting that member jeff8877 has a 73 Mach 1 built on 6/12/73 that has the comfortweave (white interior). That tells me that mid June 1973 was probably when they ran out of comfortweave.

Yes, Don61 was out there by himself early on with the next recorded incident 17 day later. Now I've joined him only three days later. I would rather have the Comfortweave but now I am a member of an elite group.

I wonder if there is a way to organize the Marti Report thread in chronological order of car manufacture. We might be able to find more of us that haven't viewed this thread without having to go through so many pages searching.

New to the forum so if this posts all jacked up you will understand....not sure if the pic is posting

Car: 73 Mach...Ii do not know the exact build date, but its a late June car. The engine build date per the valve cover date code label is June 18th.

Interior is white (code GW?) and the centers as shown are solid vinyl, not comfort weave. Perhaps this thread explains why I cannot find *exact* replacement repro interior. ??

BTW...i have owned the car since '87, and yes I am sure thats the original seat cover

Northeast-20131210-02007.jpg

Back