1973 Mach 1 Marti

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG41

Reaction score
My Car
351c 2v, FMX Transmission. Ordered from Sanderson Ford in Phoenix, 99k original miles.
Just got my Marti report back, felt like the longest 5 days ever. So far everything checks out! Can’t verify the 2 tone hood since someone stole it at one point and was replaced with a junkyard one, but everything else matches up. Pretty cool! I still have the original Sanderson Ford key tag attached to the keys. So this beaut really has never left Arizona

Attachments

• 045DEF92-8D0D-45FD-AFF7-69F37CEFF4C0.jpeg
    045DEF92-8D0D-45FD-AFF7-69F37CEFF4C0.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 7
Just curious, when it refers to bumper rub strips are those the rubber inserts on the vertical guards on the rear bumper or something else?

It is cool to see the history of your car in writing! I am partial to 5A Light Pewter Metallic for some odd reason! 😎
Very! I will splurge on the Elite at some point, but its not pressing right now. Definitely going to respray it with the 5A, love that color. Theres not much left of it on the body now, almost looks tan.

Just curious, when it refers to bumper rub strips are those the rubber inserts on the vertical guards on the rear bumper or something else?
Not a clue! That's what I was thinking it was, seeing as I have them on the rear. Don't have another guess as to what else it would be.

Last edited:
As nice as the Marti report is, it is not a Ford-generated document but is a compilation of what Marti's staff interprets as being on the vehicle. So sometimes, the terminology and what they list in the feature section differ from what is on the Ford invoice. And I'm not slamming Marti; I have a small fortune in Marti reports on my vehicles.
Since the Eminger/Ford invoice is an original Ford document, it is one of the most accurate reports to have on your vehicle.

The "Your Vehicle Was Equipped With The Following Features" is usually where the optional equipment would be listed. The NASA hood, which would be standard on an H code Mach1, is listed in that section. Nothing to cause the earth to fly out of orbit, just a little fluffing they tend to do!

There were three different rear bumper configurations available on the '73 Mustang. The standard chrome rear bumper was the same as used on the '71-72 models. The $14.00 rear bumper guard option included two chrome bumper guards with vinyl inserts. The $25.00 Deluxe Bumper Group option included two bumper guards with vinyl inserts and three-piece horizontal rub strips. The horizontal rub strips were not available separately as a stand-alone option.
The illustration below shows the Deluxe bumper with the bumper guards and horizontal rub strips.

Attachments

• 17984-3.jpg
    17984-3.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 2
As nice as the Marti report is, it is not a Ford-generated document but is a compilation of what Marti's staff interprets as being on the vehicle. So sometimes, the terminology and what they list in the feature section differ from what is on the Ford invoice. And I'm not slamming Marti; I have a small fortune in Marti reports on my vehicles.
Since the Eminger/Ford invoice is an original Ford document, it is one of the most accurate reports to have on your vehicle.

The "Your Vehicle Was Equipped With The Following Features" is usually where the optional equipment would be listed. The NASA hood, which would be standard on an H code Mach1, is listed in that section. Nothing to cause the earth to fly out of orbit, just a little fluffing they tend to do!

There were three different rear bumper configurations available on the '73 Mustang. The standard chrome rear bumper was the same as used on the '71-72 models. The $14.00 rear bumper guard option included two chrome bumper guards with vinyl inserts. The $25.00 Deluxe Bumper Group option included two bumper guards with vinyl inserts and three-piece horizontal rub strips. The horizontal rub strips were not available separately as a stand-alone option.
The illustration below shows the Deluxe bumper with the bumper guards and horizontal rub strips.
Yeah I actually got a follow up email from Marti stating that based on the serial number they may have the original invoice. Definitely something I will try to scoop up fairly soon.

Thanks for the info, secluff. I honestly have not seen the deluxe bumper before. Interesting!

Dude! My 71 vert came from Sanderson as well! I do have an original license plate frame from them as well (somewhere).

Attachments

• 1f03h164804_dlxrpt.pdf
    294.2 KB · Views: 0
Dude! My 71 vert came from Sanderson as well! I do have an original license plate frame from them as well (somewhere).
Heck yeah!! Mine was ordered purposefully without a console and radio. But still have the original plate it came with.

Attachments

• 58DED109-6DF4-4EED-91F4-1A10459140D3.jpeg
    58DED109-6DF4-4EED-91F4-1A10459140D3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 968F52EA-2BCB-4262-A666-B55FA837F4C8.jpeg
    968F52EA-2BCB-4262-A666-B55FA837F4C8.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
Heck yeah!! Mine was ordered purposefully without a console and radio. But still have the original plate it came with.
I know some guys were ordered with radio delete but I always thought that was for pure racing reasons or something else special. Any idea why yours was ordered without a radio?

I know some guys were ordered with radio delete but I always thought that was for pure racing reasons or something else special. Any idea why yours was ordered without a radio?
From what I was told, the original owner didn’t want a hole in the fender from the antennae. There’s speakers up front, and I believe what was a mounting spot for an 8 track? I can take a picture and maybe you guys can tell me.

Radios were not standard on any '71-3 Mustang. If the dealer or customer ordered no radio, they came with a radio cover plate in the radio location and no hole in the fender. The cars went through a "PDI" process (Pre Delivery Inspection) where the tech checked the car for options and standard equipment being correct, fluid levels, and loose or missing nuts, bolts, or hardware. The trunk would contain wheel covers, floor mats, and the radio installation kit (if ordered with any radio option). The installation kit would have the radio, antenna with the fender drill template, and all the hardware needed. Only the higher-end cars, such as T-Birds and Lincoln, came with standard radios and factory-installed antennas. This continued through the late '70s. As each model line was redesigned, such as the new '79 LTD and Mustang, they had antenna hole cover plates on the fender if not ordered with a radio. This was seen most often in fleet, police, and taxi vehicles. A lot of people would not order a factory radio so they could have a custom system installed. Accessory sales were a cash cow for dealers. Many dealers utilized companies that specialized in installing audio systems and other accessories and would come to the dealership to install them. Many radio opening cover plates were tossed after a radio install and now command insane prices.
The power antenna was a dealer-installed over-the-counter part and was not production installed on the Mustang.

Radios were not standard on any '71-3 Mustang. If the dealer or customer ordered no radio, they came with a radio cover plate in the radio location and no hole in the fender. The cars went through a "PDI" process (Pre Delivery Inspection) where the tech checked the car for options and standard equipment being correct, fluid levels, and loose or missing nuts, bolts, or hardware. The trunk would contain wheel covers, floor mats, and the radio installation kit (if ordered with any radio option). The installation kit would have the radio, antenna with the fender drill template, and all the hardware needed. Only the higher-end cars, such as T-Birds and Lincoln, came with standard radios and factory-installed antennas. This continued through the late '70s. As each model line was redesigned, such as the new '79 LTD and Mustang, they had antenna hole cover plates on the fender if not ordered with a radio. This was seen most often in fleet, police, and taxi vehicles. A lot of people would not order a factory radio so they could have a custom system installed. Accessory sales were a cash cow for dealers. Many dealers utilized companies that specialized in installing audio systems and other accessories and would come to the dealership to install them. Many radio opening cover plates were tossed after a radio install and now command insane prices.
The power antenna was a dealer-installed over-the-counter part and was not production installed on the Mustang.
Didn’t know all that!! This is the evidence I have there was some sort of sound system in there

Attachments

• 789A4ADA-A1C2-42ED-81BB-A6B4BD1B31A6.jpeg
    789A4ADA-A1C2-42ED-81BB-A6B4BD1B31A6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • FD8269ED-B2B7-4498-BF64-6D61115B511F.jpeg
    FD8269ED-B2B7-4498-BF64-6D61115B511F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Pretty sure its the horizontal rub strip on the rear chrome bumper, it formed part of the deluxe bumper group (which included the rear bumper guards again, but with vertical rub strips). Would have to see the build sheet to see how this car actually came from the factory in this regard.

That is a gorgeous looking Mustang. If you are inclined to add A/C, we installed the Classic Air kits in both of our Mustangs. Both projects turned out great. Recommended, especially in the SouthWest.

https://www.classicautoair.com/mustang_air_conditioning_ford_ac/
I appreciate it! Unfortunately 50 years in the Phoenix sun has done a number on the paint, but I’m not worried about the exterior right now. I will definitely consider a/c down the road. I’ll be hanging onto all the factory AC components when they are taken off for the rebuild, but will be going with one of the aftermarket kits should I decide to add it back on.

Latest posts

Back