1973 MOTOR MOUNTS (FUN FACTS TO KNOW AND TELL)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug The Dog

I'm back!
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351CJ, 5 Speed. Currently being restored. Projected finish date is some day.....
I've always thought that the Ford engineers were quite optimistic in designing a system where the only thing holding the engine and gearbox in were three chunks of vulcanized rubber.

I had first hand experience of this 20 years ago when I rear-ended some poor guys Mitsubishi in my '70 Mustang....all the rubber mounts sheared and the engine/trans slid forward two inches. It was probably only sheer luck (and the radiator) that stopped the engine falling completely off the mounts.

Cool! I happen to have a good set of those 73s to keep my motor where it should be.

Not councourse, just using all the cool stuff that Ford put out to put mine together.

It wasn't just Fords, pretty much all cars had non-constrained motor mounts. A lot of the hot rodders put a short piece of chain between the motor mount and frame to keep the engine from flopping over against the inner fender if the mount broke on accelerating.

It wasn't just Fords, pretty much all cars had non-constrained motor mounts. A lot of the hot rodders put a short piece of chain between the motor mount and frame to keep the engine from flopping over against the inner fender if the mount broke on accelerating.
+1 I did the chain mod on my 65 after I raced a guy in a Camaro, the torque from launching it ripped the rubber apart on the pass side mount. I heard a big thud but I kept my foot in it, steam was pouring out from under the hood but I was going to beat this guy after he talked so much smack. My ego took over (hey I was only 17) and after the fact I popped the hood to see the damage and I noticed a dent in center of my hood where the carb stud rammed into it. The neck on the radiator broke off with the hose still attached to it, hence all the steam. Some reason I felt embarrassed and I had to tow it home. Bought a new mount and slapped 5 links of chain and back in business.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yup..My freinds dodge dart had a broken rubber motor mount...He would take of easy from stop signs..If he did not, you would hear the motor lift up and go clunk..lol..He had a chain around it so it would not go too far either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back