1973 Mustang Alternator Applications

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the inputs 73StangCoupe and John J. It is looking more like the the rear window defrost is the discriminator for the 70 amp alternator application in the 73 Mustangs. Please keep the info coming as I am interested in seeing is anyone has a 42 amp or a 61 amp alternator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternator info on : 7173 Wiki & Blogs - 1973 Mustang AMA Specifications (page 19/42)

D1 = 1971

D2 = 1972

D3 = 1973

Provided by another member who wishes to remain nameless. Enjoy!

Hihi... ;)

55 amp. No power options.

IMG_0429_zps48525b7b.jpg

IMG_0428_zps2c35e673.jpg

I will have to check mine...Got powerwindows and ac stock..I know i replaced the alternator once years and years ago...ill check my harness.

just checked...Picture of my harness...AC powerwindows car..73 june built.

P1030054.JPG

Hi,

I have rear window defrost, and a 55amp alternator. I really don't have any historic about my car, so I can't tell if it has been changed and before was a 70 A.

Manu

SAM_3056R.JPG

SAM_3052.JPG

Guys,

My 73 H code with no options had a 42 amp alternator. The wiring is hard to see, but it looks like an orange cap over the main wire. Is there harnesses for each amp configurations ? Was the wire larger for the higher output units ? Now I am wondering !!!

Thanks, Jay

Hi,

Mustang 1973-Mach 1-351C-2V

airco-defrost rear window-2xautomatic seat back release solenoids-radio-3 gauges pack

NO power windows

photo's from alternator & starter

Thanks guys for the info...

clevelandcoupe...There were two harnesses used...one was for the 42/55/61 amp alternators and the other was exclusive to the 70 amp and featured a side plug connection instead of on the back. So by looking at the harness is the best way to tell what your car originally came with.

eddyw...which harness do you have?

Jeff

Guys,

My 73 H code with no options had a 42 amp alternator. The wiring is hard to see, but it looks like an orange cap over the main wire. Is there harnesses for each amp configurations ? Was the wire larger for the higher output units ? Now I am wondering !!!

Thanks, Jay
Thanks for that info Jay. Yours is the first 42 amp alternator I have heard of here. You say yours had a 42 amp alternator - do you still have it? If so, could you snap a photo of the top of the alternator showing the part number and amp rating? I would like to have that for archival purposes. With the limited amount of options on your car, the 42 amp choice makes sense. I would also be interested in the build date for your car. Like Jeff mentioned above, the wire harnesses were all the same except for the 70 amp configuration. Voltage regulators were the same for all configurations including the 70 amp.

Hi,

I have rear window defrost, and a 55amp alternator. I really don't have any historic about my car, so I can't tell if it has been changed and before was a 70 A.

Manu
Thanks for that info Manu. The fact that you have rear defrost and a 55 amp alternator is interesting. If the alternator had been changed in the past from a 70 amp version, someone would have also had to have changed the wire harness. I would bet yours came from the factory with the 55 amp alternator.

Hi,

airco-defrost rear window-2xautomatic seat back release solenoids-radio-3 gauges pack

NO power windows

Thanks for that info eddyw. Do you know the build date of your car?

Hi Steve,

Built after 08/1972 (model 1973 -VIN : 3F05H10 )

built - import to Netherland - license plate request in Netherland 03/1973

Hi Jeff,

What side plug do you mean?

the other was exclusive to the 70 amp and featured a side plug connection instead of on the back. So by looking at the harness is the best way to tell what your car originally came with.

Eddy

Guys,

Thanks, Jay
Thanks for that info Jay. Yours is the first 42 amp alternator I have heard of here. You say yours had a 42 amp alternator - do you still have it? If so, could you snap a photo of the top of the alternator showing the part number and amp rating? I would like to have that for archival purposes. With the limited amount of options on your car, the 42 amp choice makes sense. I would also be interested in the build date for your car. Like Jeff mentioned above, the wire harnesses were all the same except for the 70 amp configuration. Voltage regulators were the same for all configurations including the 70 amp.

Hi,

Manu
Thanks for that info Manu. The fact that you have rear defrost and a 55 amp alternator is interesting. If the alternator had been changed in the past from a 70 amp version, someone would have also had to have changed the wire harness. I would bet yours came from the factory with the 55 amp alternator.

Hi,

NO power windows

Thanks for that info eddyw. Do you know the build date of your car?

Steve,

Thought you might find this interesting. Your post about build sheet led me to look at the few pieces that I was able to salvage on my car. It was on the drivers side floor where your feet go and stuck to the asphalt sound deadening material so not much remained. As luck would have it, I found the alternator section.

Jeff

6q8okh.jpg

Jeff - great info! That 7A on the build sheet, combined with all of your options, and the build sheet code info that John provided above, points to your car having the 70 amp alternator. Not sure what to say about that wire harness you have though. Did your car have a 55 amp alternator on it when you bought it? Someone may have swapped it out for a 55 amp version with the wire harness in the past because the 55's are much more common than the 70. Is that possible?

Guys,

Photo's of my alternator & date of manufacture sticker.

Hope this information helps.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks, Jay
Jay - thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for! If you have the build sheet for your car, the alternator code (row D, characters 16 and 17) would be the only other piece of info I would like to have.

That looks like 7A to me on the build sheet. Here is a picture of mine.
Thanks John - this will help Jeff solve the mystery of his alternator. I hope to find build sheets in my Mustang that are in the good of shape.

Jeff - great info! That 7A on the build sheet, combined with all of your options, and the build sheet code info that John provided above, points to your car having the 70 amp alternator. Not sure what to say about that wire harness you have though. Did your car have a 55 amp alternator on it when you bought it? Someone may have swapped it out for a 55 amp version with the wire harness in the past because the 55's are much more common than the 70. Is that possible?

Guys,

Photo's of my alternator & date of manufacture sticker.

Hope this information helps.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks, Jay
Jay - thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for! If you have the build sheet for your car, the alternator code (row D, characters 16 and 17) would be the only other piece of info I would like to have.

That looks like 7A to me on the build sheet. Here is a picture of mine.
Thanks John - this will help Jeff solve the mystery of his alternator. I hope to find build sheets in my Mustang that are in the good of shape.
Steve,

Sorry I do not have the build sheet. The car was partially disassembled prior to me taking possession. I did take the carpets & underlayment out and I didn't find it.

Thanks,Jay

Refering to the Chilton book, it says that not less than 5 different alternators are installed on our cars.

1971: from 38 to 65 amp (38-42-55-61-65).

72/73: from 38 to 65 amp (38-42-55-61-65).

As I said as an exemple, mine have rear window defrost and I have 55 amp.

I have no AC. So could be different options car had from the factory which could give the different alternators, maybe...[/u]

Refering to the Chilton book, it says that not less than 5 different alternators are installed on our cars.

1971: from 38 to 65 amp (38-42-55-61-65).

72/73: from 38 to 65 amp (38-42-55-61-65).

As I said as an exemple, mine have rear window defrost and I have 55 amp.

I have no AC. So could be different options car had from the factory which could give the different alternators, maybe...[/u]
I can find no evidence on 1973 Mustangs that a 38 amp or 65 amp alternators were ever offered. They definitely had 70 amp alternators in 1973 as many of the members including me) here have them . The options on the car did dictate which type of alternator you received. Do you have your build sheet? It would be interesting to see which alternator code you have there.

Back