1973 Mustang Convertible Restoration and Modification

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good progress, Doc. The 429 in my car was supposedly rebuilt in the '80's and had sat for a number of years until my dad got it. I'll probably rebuild the engine myself in a few years, so I'm torn between being excited and dreading it! My dad has rebuilt a few engines (1971 Mustang Sportroof and a 1987 Mitsu Montero), but I've never done it myself.

Looking good!

Well, after some slow going (my wife says I'm slow. I prefer to call myself methodical :) ) I've got the engine out and disassembled.

I had to remove the torque converter with the engine because I stripped two of the TC bolts:

So I borrowed an engine hoist and engine stand and went to work:

With the engine on the stand, I followed the trusty Haynes Ford Engine Overhaul manual and began taking things apart. I started with the pistons:

And then removed the crankshaft and camshaft, which were pretty straight forward. Note: keep a good grip on the crankshaft, because it's pretty hefty.

I noticed a large sliver and a couple small pieces of of metal fall out of the 3rd camshaft journal, or whatever it's called, and I see a lot of metal damage to that bearing surface (or whatever it's called) on the cam, so I'll make sure I mention that to the machine shop to give them a heads up.

Next up: take the block to the machine shop for mic-ing (measuring all the tolerances), machining (if necessary) and a nice hot bath. Then shift into reverse and put everything back together. Can't believe I've made it this far!!
are you thinking a stockish rebuild, or some kind of stroker? either way, its gonna scream!

It's not as bad as some people might imagine it. If you're willing to be "methodical" (LOL) (like putting all small parts in labeled plastic bags and taking a bunch of pictures) then I'm hoping it won't be too bad. I'd like to get everything nice and tight in the bottom end and bolt some horsepower on top with the cam, intake and carb (and Hooker headers). I'm hoping that this amateur rebuild will pay off. Thanks for all of you guys's support. :) :) :)

Doc

I think there are a few more updates in other threads. Most recently, I finally found a cam bearing tool and bought the cam bearings. Plus I honed the cylinders (again) to get the cross-hatch at 60 degrees.

When it's all put back together and actually starts, I'll be one very happy guy!

Doc

Those up-close pics will be invaluable when you start putting it all back together. The digital camera has become a common tool in my toolbox as I take pics of any project before I disassemble. Keep the blog going as it will help others on the site too!

I noticed earlier in your blog you were talking about removing the oil pan with the engine still in the bay. When I was younger, about 18 and a lot more agile, I did that while the 1971 Grande I have now was setting on "drive on" ramps. What I had to do was remove the sway bar. It still took some work to get the pan out and the whole job took me several days to get it out, clean up the surfaces, and then get the pan back in place. Actually getting it back in was worse than getting it out.

If I ever have to do something like that again, I will definitely pull the engine. I'm just not up for that kind of back breaking, lay on gravel or concrete for several days, kind of drudgery any more.

Great work, looking forward to more updates.

In this blog I will document the restoration and modification of my 1973 Mustang convertible with a 351C 2V (351 Cleveland with 2 bbl carburetor).

I'll create the skeleton framework of the blog, and then add text and explanatory photos.

Picture of the engine on September 15, 2010, before beginning restoration.

First step was to remove the hood, with the help of a friend. I marked the hinge locations with pencil to facilitate alignment later. I put a big sleeping bag on the roof and set it up there, since I don't have much room in my garage. I checked it for stability, and it shouldn't go anywhere.

Next, I drained the radiator and removed the radiator hoses and radiator.

I then removed the heater hoses. Since I'm going to replace them, it was easiest to just split the ends with a knife and pry them off with a flathead screwdriver.

I snapped a couple pics of the wiring and then removed the battery, followed by the battery tray.
in a micro sense~of tear down and restoration of what i saw so far is really good. I never posted my pics of the entire shape of mine before the cleaning stage but will later in my photo album. From pp 2-5 covers @ 125+ pics w/id of its transition to the completion of mine. Though have an overall view you may enjoy looking at.

Latest posts

Back