1973 Mustang Convertible Restoration and Modification

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
In this blog I will document the restoration and modification of my 1973 Mustang convertible with a 351C 2V (351 Cleveland with 2 bbl carburetor).

I'll create the skeleton framework of the blog, and then add text and explanatory photos.

Engine 9-15-10 (Small).JPG

Picture of the engine on September 15, 2010, before beginning restoration.

Engine compartment wiith hood off (Small).JPG

First step was to remove the hood, with the help of a friend. I marked the hinge locations with pencil to facilitate alignment later. I put a big sleeping bag on the roof and set it up there, since I don't have much room in my garage. I checked it for stability, and it shouldn't go anywhere.

Engine Before  1 (Small).JPG

Next, I drained the radiator and removed the radiator hoses and radiator.

Heater Hose diaphragm (Small).JPG

Heater Hose connection (Small).JPG

Engine beginning rebuild 2 (Small).JPG

Heater hose coupling alone (Small).JPG

I then removed the heater hoses. Since I'm going to replace them, it was easiest to just split the ends with a knife and pry them off with a flathead screwdriver.

Battery wiring (Small).JPG

Solenoid Wiring (Small).JPG

I snapped a couple pics of the wiring and then removed the battery, followed by the battery tray.

Under battery tray (Small).JPG

Looking forward to your ongoing documentation! Keep us posted!

In this blog I will document the restoration and modification of my 1973 Mustang convertible with a 351C 2V (351 Cleveland with 2 bbl carburetor).

I'll create the skeleton framework of the blog, and then add text and explanatory photos.

Picture of the engine on September 15, 2010, before beginning restoration.

First step was to remove the hood, with the help of a friend. I marked the hinge locations with pencil to facilitate alignment later. I put a big sleeping bag on the roof and set it up there, since I don't have much room in my garage. I checked it for stability, and it shouldn't go anywhere.

Next, I drained the radiator and removed the radiator hoses and radiator.

I then removed the heater hoses. Since I'm going to replace them, it was easiest to just split the ends with a knife and pry them off with a flathead screwdriver.

I snapped a couple pics of the wiring and then removed the battery, followed by the battery tray.
All in all Doc your engine bay looks nice and solid. Mike

Battery tray removed (Small).JPG

Battery Tray Top View (Small).JPG

Battery Tray Cleanup (Small).JPG

The battery tray area had a lot of rust, but was structurally sound. I cleaned up the tray itself with a wire brush (manual and cordless drill) with decent results. I can see it will just take time and elbow grease.

Doc

"'When we last left Doc, he was knee deep in the disassembly of his 351 Cleveland. Let's see what's happened since then...."

Well, now I'm hip deep in the disassembly. :) I removed the exhaust manifold on the passenger side...

Pass side exhaust manifold removed.JPG

But the dang driver's side exhaust manifold bolts just wouldn't cooperate, so I'll leave that one attached and remove it with the head.

Drivers side exhaust manifold problem.JPG

I'm also having trouble getting the water pump removed, but that's not an issue yet.

I pulled the intake manifold off, and this is what I saw:

Intake Removed.JPG

And then removed the rocker arm cover on the passenger side:

Pass Side Head after cover removed.JPG

As well as the rocker arm cover on the driver's side:

Driver Side Head after cover removed.JPG

It's easy to see that there's a ton of "sludge" covering all of the cam-driven parts, so I've got my work cut out for me in that area.

Closeup of rocker arms before cleaning.JPG

Next: removing the heads and getting ready to replace the cam, cam components, and timing chain.

"'When we last left Doc, he was knee deep in the disassembly of his 351 Cleveland. Let's see what's happened since then...."

Well, now I'm hip deep in the disassembly. :) I removed the exhaust manifold on the passenger side...

But the dang driver's side exhaust manifold bolts just wouldn't cooperate, so I'll leave that one attached and remove it with the head.

I'm also having trouble getting the water pump removed, but that's not an issue yet.

It's easy to see that there's a ton of "sludge" covering all of the cam-driven parts, so I've got my work cut out for me in that area.

Next: removing the heads and getting ready to replace the cam, cam components, and timing chain.
Well Doc,

I can see why things were a bit "sluggish" when you got into it:).

Trust me, you are going to be PLEASANTLY surprised when you get it back together.

BT

Doc did you use WD40 on the exhaust and water pump bolts spray and let soak over night. Mike

Slowly but surely progress is made.

I removed the tappets and, with some difficulty and a cheater bar, loosened the head bolts. I then pried the heads off with a small pry bar, being careful not to mar any mating surfaces.

First, the driver's side

Driver Engine Bay after head removed (Small).JPG

Driver head removed (Small).JPG

Then the passenger side

Pass Engine Bay after head removed (Small).JPG

Passenger head removed (Small).JPG

Looks pretty empty with everything removed

Engine bay after head removal (Small).JPG

Lots of sludge in there, probably from using a non-detergent oil like they did years ago. I took the heads down to the school auto shop as a project for the high school kids. They're excited, and the shop teacher promised to watch them closely.

Next up, remove and clean oil pan, swap out the cams, and start ordering new intake and exhaust manifold, carb, etc.

Latest posts

Back