2008 Colorado Truck Spring Broke ODDDDD!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed
1973 Chevelle 454 SS
2005 Magnum RT
2008 Colorado
Anybody ever see a rear leaf spring break here before. Mel hit the red brick driveway entrance with the rear tire.

DSCN2432.JPGDSCN2433.JPGDSCN2434.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
never seen one break there before,seen & broken some close to the u bolts ,but thats a new one !!! :huh:

Anybody ever see a rear leaf spring break here before. Mel hit the red brick driveway entrance with the rear tire.
If they are cold-rolled, I'd be surprised if porosity led to a stress crack - one would think it would have failed during the rolling.

Perhaps it became unintentionally heat treated? Any chance he brazed or torched something on the truck near said area?

-Kurt

If they are cold-rolled, I'd be surprised if porosity led to a stress crack - one would think it would have failed during the rolling.

Perhaps it became unintentionally heat treated? Any chance he brazed or torched something on the truck near said area?

-Kurt
She bought it new. Could find no sign of cracking or repair. Metal appears to be almost layered.

Looks as if I'm having trouble viewing photos on this forum with Firefox, but not on Chrome. Hmm.

As for the spring damage (now that I see it), it looks as if the steel did not take kindly to the cold-forming at the factory. Might be a strange combo of a poor piece of metal with a weak spot cold set right around that point. Might be an isolated incident.

What temperatures is the truck running in, might I ask?

-Kurt

-Kurt
Mel is short for Mildred. My wife.

It almost looks like it was cracked about a third of the way across, left side in the picture, before it completely broke off.
Thats the center bushing that it's wrapped around. No, it's a very clean break.

GO HERE FOR PARTS

www.duckbrand.com/

Duck® Brand - Duct Tape, Packaging Tape, Weatherization, Leaf Spring Repair, Shelf ...

It almost looks like it was cracked about a third of the way across, left side in the picture, before it completely broke off.
That's what I thought too, but the other half doesn't show rust.

Back