Lowering car by heating springs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed
OK, yes I know it's a bad idea and not planning on doing that long term. Getting new wheels and tires here in a bit and I think I'm going to hate the stance so just want to get that addressed quick and dirty until I get some new springs (or maybe coilovers?) later this winter. So was considering heating up the front coils until I can get them replaced to see where I want the ride height to be and just to not hate it until I get it right.

So wondering if any of you fellas have done this before you came to your senses and in the short term, how bad is the ride and I'm assuming the spring would be noisy as the coils would touch going over bumps etc. Basically can I still ride around with my better half in the car or will I constantly be apologizing for the terrible ride and noise :D. When I was a kid I've cut out a coil or two on various cars but they were a little easier to deal with than the ones on the Mustang.

Thanks!

You don't have to completely remove the springs. You can compress them up into the shock tower enough to use a cutoff wheel on the lower coil. I used to have a rule-of-thumb for how much a half coil, 3/4 coil, full coil, etc. equated to amount lowered. If I can recall it I'll add it here.

Cutting 1/2 coil will drop it about .75 inches. Chuck
Perfect, thanks. So this is why when I was a kid and wanted to lower my Corvette 1.5" so I cut off 1.5 coils things didn't work out like I expected. I mean it looked cool, but a tiny bit hard to live with, like that time I left my entire exhaust on a speed bump.

Perfect, thanks. So this is why when I was a kid and wanted to lower my Corvette 1.5" so I cut off 1.5 coils things didn't work out like I expected. I mean it looked cool, but a tiny bit hard to live with, like that time I left my entire exhaust on a speed bump.
We've all been there in one form or another!

I won't endorse it but I am familiar with the technique. I did my '67 Vette in '79. One of these days I'll change them. This pickup was done 11 years ago. No issues. Lucky? Quite possibly. Like others have said "just change them".
l1.jpgl2.jpgl3.jpg

OK, I knew there had to be someone else out there that takes some shortcuts like I do. I'll likely just replace them or cut them, but who knows, if I get those new wheels on and hate the stance, I might just give it a go out of frustration.

Back