2010 7173Mustangs.com White Elephant "Whatdidyaget" thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got exactly what I wanted. Very pleased with this first version of "gift exchange". Very willing to participate in the next one. How about a spring fling or maybe christmas in july? Just a thought.
Glad to hear that. That old mirror cleaned up real nice.

Mine came yesterday - a pair of "351 High Performance" badges and a 351 Cleveland pin with a nice Xmas card.

I have to make an admission, I have yet to send mine out. :s:s:s

It got lost in the shuffle of the last couple weeks. My partner should get his in a week or so I'd guess...

Mine came yesterday - a pair of "351 High Performance" badges and a 351 Cleveland pin with a nice Xmas card.

I have to make an admission, I have yet to send mine out. :s:s:s

It got lost in the shuffle of the last couple weeks. My partner should get his in a week or so I'd guess...
With everything you had going on, I'm sure he's in no hurry! :cool:

Hey, regardless of when it finally arrives, it's cool that Hemi put this together and that so many of us wanted to get into what I see as a fun thing. I'm in no hurry for mine to arrive - getting to open presents twice is kind of like a Christmas bonus. :) It'll get here when it gets here......

Doc

Well, it arrived yesterday! I can't figure out who my partner was, but whoever you are, thanks! The 'vert will be stylin' this summer after I get her spiffed up with a nice wash mitt, some great microfiber towels, and a high tech water absorber! Can't wait to put 'em to use!

Doc

White Elephant 2010.JPG

Well, the stagecoach from Miami finally made it through the blizzards and rains, and involved a rather circuitous route passing over both the northern and southern borders of the United States. By the time it arrived at my house in Nevada, it had been reduced to a rusty Red Flyer wagon being pulled by a Chihuahua and a large guinea pig (ya, I wish I'd taken a picture of it when it pulled up to the house).

Anyway, the package inside was well worth the effort. It was the second part of my White Elephant Christmas gift, and this is what was inside: a pictorial description of why replacing 40 year old parts is definitely worth the extra few bucks and time, compared to what could happen.

This is a picture of the whole works:

White Elephant 2010 Full Shot.JPG

The first thing in the box was the remains of a harmonic balancer, the two main pieces of which had separated at about 5000 RPM:

White Elephant 2010 (1).JPG

After you get the HB fixed, this is what happens to a 40 year old valve at 5500 RPM:

White Elephant 2010 (2).JPG

Then, after you replace the engine because the valve let go, you rev the engine to 6000 RPM and when you shift, this is what happens to the clutches inside the tranny:

White Elephant 2010 (3).JPG

Thanks to JorgeM for the valuable information, and for the beginnings of my collection for future white elephants. :cool:

Seriously, thank you, Jorge. Seeing the parts in person impressed upon me the value of spending a couple hundred dollars to extend the life of my engine after taking so much time to rebuild it.

Doc

Back