"23 Things you didn't know about Ford Mustangs"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original "Mustang I" prototype is referred to as a "Mach 1" in that article. Incorrect.

There are dozens of stories printed over the years about why the horse runs right to left. Most of them strike me as "revisionist history". I tend to believe the final decision was just a random choice, someone in charge preferring it that way for no particular reason.

I was told many, many years ago by some Ford big-wig ( can't remember who) that it was done so fade/morph shots done in advertising would show the drivers side of the car. I am not 100% convinced that is true, but maybe it is. Who knows?

The early centered '67 Shelby foglights were found to be illegal in some states concerning minimum distance between lights, so later versions were revised to the outside ends of the grille.

The overheating issue was discovered after production of the centered lights had already ended.

GMs 70s-era "swivel buckets" seem to have worked out the safety concerns. I had a Laguna S-3 with them, and I loved them. No tilt or recline, but easy to get in/out and had loads of "cool factor".

Last edited:
"GMs 70s-era "swivel buckets" seem to have worked out the safety concerns. I had a Laguna S-3 with them, and I loved them. No tilt or recline, but easy to get in/out and had loads of "cool factor"."

I had a set of those from a mid-seventies Monte Carlo that I put in my old 71 Ford Econoline, they were awesome!

Latest posts

Back