3/4 vinyl top on sportroof.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right in that the side trim is the drip rail, and there are two pieces, one above the windshield and one 3/4 of the way back between the windows. The rear piece is actually 3 pieces, the center piece and then 2 small pieces on either end.

I'm missing one of those.

Turns out that the one on ebay isn't what I need.

2i72uli_th.jpg

6nrz3n_th.jpg
I went and looked and mine has the little piece on each side and the center is two parts so 4 all together.

Did you get the one you needed on ebay?

I saw one of the other member post on here that there were several in a junk yard where he lived in S.C..

We are melting out of the ice this week and maybe I can get back to clearing for my garage. I am headed to Cuba next month to look at the old cars and relax. It is a really cheap vacation a little over $800 for air and $25 a day while there and then the cab rides.

David

Cuba? isnt that where Kennedy took Marilyn for some alone time away from Jacqueline?
You just do not know how good their rum is. I was in China and got it there and it is the best. It is going to be an adventure. Got to keep the blood flowing. Maybe the CIA will find me, lol.

David

Ok I spent some time today during our ice storm trying to locate a picture of the full vinyl roof on 71 - 73 mustang. I know that they had them in the 70's a guy I worked with had one I think a 71. It had a special badge on it and it was one of those regional packages. I believe in Texas. It looked like leather and the trim at the quarter also looked like leather. I for the life of me cannot remember what it was called. Anyone else remember it. I did find a couple of people that had cars but with different type top. One guy blasted his car an boom there were the holes for the quarter panel trim pieces. The attached has a picture of I think a 71 with full vinyl top. Also at the bottom there is a neat package that you could get on the hardtop for just a short time.

There was a web site that had all of the specials listed that he has found. I did not copy the location.

I sucks getting old cannot remember like I use to.

David
Hi David-

The attachment you provided is actually a pic of my car from a few years ago, before I bought it.

I've attached a couple pics, one shows the car after the previous owner stripped off the vinyl roof. The car still has the original yellow paint under the top leading me to believe this was not a factory option, but a dealer option or aftermarket. The other pic is the only other car with the full vinyl roof I have found to date. That owner is also a member of this forum if I remember correctly.

The only metal trim added to the car is on the quarter panel. The trim is specifically made for this application and conforms to the body as it turns to meet the rear window trim. I'd love to find more info on what company produced these items and how many more full vinyl roofs were sold.

71%202.jpg

P1050633 (800x600).jpg

012.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I spent some time today during our ice storm trying to locate a picture of the full vinyl roof on 71 - 73 mustang. I know that they had them in the 70's a guy I worked with had one I think a 71. It had a special badge on it and it was one of those regional packages. I believe in Texas. It looked like leather and the trim at the quarter also looked like leather. I for the life of me cannot remember what it was called. Anyone else remember it. I did find a couple of people that had cars but with different type top. One guy blasted his car an boom there were the holes for the quarter panel trim pieces. The attached has a picture of I think a 71 with full vinyl top. Also at the bottom there is a neat package that you could get on the hardtop for just a short time.

There was a web site that had all of the specials listed that he has found. I did not copy the location.

David
Hi David-

The attachment you provided is actually a pic of my car from a few years ago, before I bought it.

I've attached a couple pics, one shows the car after the previous owner stripped off the vinyl roof. The car still has the original yellow paint under the top leading me to believe this was not a factory option, but a dealer option or aftermarket. The other pic is the only other car with the full vinyl roof I have found to date. That owner is also a member of this forum if I remember correctly.

The only metal trim added to the car is on the quarter panel. The trim is specifically made for this application and conforms to the body as it turns to meet the rear window trim. I'd love to find more info on what company produced these items and how many more full vinyl roofs were sold.
Interesting roof but not the same as mine. I remember very well back in the seventies and early eighties a lot of companies were installing vinyl roofs and sun roofs to cars of all kinds. I remember my Dad had a 1975 Torino and he had a half vinyl roof and a sun roof both put on by someone local. They were very popular back then.

David
Hi David-

Interesting roof but not the same as mine. I remember very well back in the seventies and early eighties a lot of companies were installing vinyl roofs and sun roofs to cars of all kinds. I remember my Dad had a 1975 Torino and he had a half vinyl roof and a sun roof both put on by someone local. They were very popular back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back